suicide front axle on ford model AA frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

27Roadsterguy

I'm planning to run a suicide style set up on a ford model AA frame, under my model A roadster. All the pics I seem to find are of home made square boxed frames or model A frames with the front frame horns cut off and boxed frame sections welded on.

Question is... Can I mount my cross bar to the stock front frame horns and mount my axle to it safely? I planned to box the horns up once the cross bar/tube is welded in.

As you can see by the pic , I made a pair of "horns"and attached them to my 2x3 box tube frame . Looks a lot better with "horns" and it gives a place to attach the top of the shocks , leaving their bottom attachment point in the stock location .

Attachments

• tie rods-tow bar 001.jpg
    tie rods-tow bar 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 101
I think the reason you see the frame horns cut off is because the main idea of the suicide mount is to get the front end lower and it usually puts the axle and/or the spring higher - right where the frame rails are. Sometimes a C notch will give clearance. Otherwise a full re-design of the rails with a higher kickup would do it.

Attachments

• dec 5 09 rat 55 003 x.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 003 x.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 69
Both of those set up look good, but It's still not what I was wanting to try. I was wanting to hang my front suspension off the end of the frame horns to push the axle out farther, but I didn't want to do the square tubing in place of the stock curvy frame horns. I thought I might make the tubing go across/between the ends of the horns, then I could lower the front end with springs or a drop axle or a combo of the two.

Last edited:
My 2 cents....
Don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. The end of the frame is still the end of the frame wether boxy or with the frame horns.
What ZZ said is true, as the horns usualy point down ward you would be raising up the front of the frame somewhat but you should be able to compensate for that with a dropped axle or a raised mounting plate on the cross piece.
Box in the horns and use a good stout tube or bar for a cross piece.
Post some pics when you get it done.
Torchie.

Thanks, that was kinda my thought, I just wasn't sure if it was strong enough to support the weight. Thanks for everyone's input.

Both of those set up look good, but It's still not what I was wanting to try. I was wanting to hang my front suspension off the end of the frame horns to push the axle out farther, but I didn't want to do the square tubing in place of the stock curvy frame horns. I thought I might make the tubing go across/between the ends of the horns, then I could lower the front end with springs or a drop axle or a combo of the two.

Lets say the "horns " were sturdy enough to do what you are proposing-
i don't think they are in their factory state - After you got your spring attached they would no longer be "horns ' they would just be part of the frame . What makes them "horns" is the fact that they stick out past the spring .
you can push the axle out by lengthening the frame and still have the" horns" .

Latest posts

Back