Summit Racing® Chassis Shield Resin

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klink

Anyone use Summit Racing® Chassis Shield Resin? The tech sheet says to apply it over bare metal, I'm wondering how good it is. The gravel gaurd Ford used on my 2003 Focus went on over bare metal and sucked moisture in through every little pin hole rotting out the whole under side of the rocker. On the other hand I use epoxy on the cast iron keel of my boat and it seems to hold up for a long time, 5-7 years before needing any re-work.

Never used it but...

Is it a base coat over bare metal prior to paint or are they saying all you need to use is the shield? I guess I'd call summit's tech line and see what they say..... gravel guard is normally shot over the base coat clear coat and not over bare metal if my memory serves me....I believe that it's a clear coating that is applied over the paint and not visa versa...might be wrong but I think I'm right....(usually what I tell my kids..lol)

Is it a base coat over bare metal prior to paint or are they saying all you need to use is the shield? I guess I'd call summit's tech line and see what they say..... gravel guard is normally shot over the base coat clear coat and not over bare metal if my memory serves me....I believe that it's a clear coating that is applied over the paint and not visa versa...might be wrong but I think I'm right....(usually what I tell my kids..lol)

The tech sheet says to apply it to clean bare metal. It's the base coat and top coat all in one. It's available in flat and semi gloss. Since my frame is all new steel, I'm thinking this might be a good way to go. I know paint technology has changed a lot over the years so I'm trying to be cautious. I'm not interested in gimmicks. The product doesn't have any reviews yet, at least not on Summit's website. As I said before, I use epxoy on the cast iron keel of my boat. That stuff would never blow through a gun. It is tough though. It also goes on right over bare iron. As long as I don't hit any rocks, it seems to last.

The gravel guard I was referring to is factory applied on my 2002 Focus; it's a plastic like material that was applied before the base coat. I looks like it was applied to a bare rocker. Not completely sure, but it sure looks that way. I'd rate it as a failure.

Gravel guard was actually used on a lot of vehicles, from my experience it was very good at keeping the rockers from rotting out.

I have not personally used the summit products. I'm really not a fan of all in one coatings.

I've personally used por-15 and it does work well over a slightly rusty base. Personaly preference on somethign I do not want to ever rust (either fresh metal, or cleaned metal) is to use triple etch, to stop the rust, or a damn good etching primer/sealer, then your top coat... even if its all rattle can stuff, its a winning combo.

I've also had very good luck with rusty metal, using the spray rust converter on very lightly rusted metal, then a primer/sealer over that, and textured top coat.

We used gravel guard quite a bit in the body shop. It is used to provide a flexible/softer coating to guard against pebbles and debris so the paint doesn't chip as easily. I don't beleive it was intended as a finish coat to protect from rust etc...

Latest posts

Back