Suspension Twist

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergoatsack

A friends build has a 4-link rear with coilovers & up front a stack of five leaves atached to the frame in front of it and then behind the axle. The problem is when one person gets in the drivers or pasenger side the frame pivots at the front spring mount and the truck twist 1" down on that side & 1" up on the other side. What is the best way to get rid of this? Stiffer rear springs just make the ride worse and don't help the twist. our next step would be a antisway bar, but looking for more input. Thanks.

A anti sway bar on the rear sounds like the best solution to me.. How much is your rear height changing on either side?

Sounds like the best solution to me as well. With suspension that soft, I would think the body roll would be quite a bit in a long corner like a freeway ramp etc. Would surely help in both instances without sacrificing a smooth ride.

How exactly is the leaf spring mounted? Does it have a proper base to mount to solidly, or is it 'rolling' back and forth as the car moves? Maybe it needs either tightening down, or a slightly curved mount made.

The spring should act as a sway bar by its very design.

Pic of mount.

Attachments

• Photo07231626.jpg
    Photo07231626.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 71
about the shackles and pic

As I blew up the pic howevermany times larger, it looks that the eyelit and bolt seen are to the frame BUT there are shackles that the leaf eyelit curl is downward and unseen in this view. Although there is a shackle, it's as short as can be as it looks.

Otherwise, that rebar and barbwire grill is sweeeeet!

Hey guys, what's the magic word to use as I search online for an I-beam front end for a '27 front end like the one in the pic????? ( I've found the new, chrome n' shiny perty ones, but I'm talkin about clist search and stuff)

The spring eyes curl down and have shackles to the mounts on the trailing arms. Here is another pick of the grill.

Attachments

• Photo07231627.jpg
    Photo07231627.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 36
Part of the problem is you have no travel left in the front spring shackles. Those shackles should be at 45 degrees under full load, or damn close to it. In the picture you are showing the shackles are bottomed out, giving no travel and putting the spring in a bind. That is transferring and twisting the suspension. It is DANGEROUS. You need to either rework the mounts or get a shorter spring...

Part of the problem is you have no travel left in the front spring shackles. Those shackles should be at 45 degrees under full load, or damn close to it....

From what I can see the shackles are vertical, which means they still have travel, as the spring extends, but no sort of self-centreing: the car can roll around them easily.

Normally they'd be under tension, like Blue Eyes says, which helps keep it all taut, but not in this case.

yup +2 The car is just hanging straight down off the shackles like a swing. it will just sway back and forth. probably shakes like hell at speed too!![S

Latest posts

Back