Swing-out Windshield/Glass Car *PICS*

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
One thing that bugged me about my glass 32 was the glued in windshield so I gathered all the parts I needed to install a swing-out windshield and went to work on it this weekend. If you've got a real steel car this is no big deal but this glass car had absolutely no provisions for a real windshild frame so some minor fab work had to be done. I still have to have a glass cut, the frame chromed, and do a little bit of finish work on the body around the windshield but it's done enough to show what I did. I'll show the finished pics first and then show how I got there if anyone wants to look further.

Very kool!

Gastrick,
That's really kool... I wanna do that on my truck now!!! Also, I didn't realize this was the car u made the bomber seats for! Hummm... looks like u used some *pretty good* glue on that windshield!!! ; - >

BoB

Then I fitted and cut a repop windshield that was already chopped about 2 1/4". I ended up cutting about another inch off of it. I had an original that I was going to start with, but it was too pitted to chrome.

I had to re-drill for the corner pieces as a result of making the cut on the bottom.

Then the fun part. I made these header panel brackets in order to securely mount the hinges to the header panel. This is the part that would have been easier on a metal car.

And installed...............

Last edited:
Then I made these studs/mounts that secure the swing arms. This was a little tricky because the studs need to be installed at a slight angle because of the shape of the pillar that it attaches to.

Most of this hardware ended up being used to finish up.

Hardware?

Most of this hardware ended up being used to finish up.

Gastrick,
Thanks for postin' this! I was really interested in makin' a windshield like this for my truck & it's great to see how it's done. Where did u get this hardware?

BoB

Gastrick,
Thanks for postin' this! I was really interested in makin' a windshield like this for my truck & it's great to see how it's done. Where did u get this hardware?

BoB

I got some from ebay and some from Wescott's. Vintiques makes the parts, lot's of rod shops sell their stuff. At first I was trying to get used original parts but the prices were just stupid so it didn't bother me to put fake parts on my fake car:).

I had a 'glass '33 Willys a few years ago and always wanted to do that with it. Sold it before I ever got it figured out. You did a super job with your pics and descriptions. Looks great. Mike

Great job. I really respect custom fabrication. It takes so much time, tool and experience to get it right.

I have an opening windshield in my 46 truck. (done at the factory 60 yrs ago) I think it is the nicest feature on the truck. Makes driving on a hot day or evening much better.

Latest posts

Back