T-Bird Rodster ( 62' Thunderbird Narrowed and opened up)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJR

parts list

62' T-bird rear section $100
79' Postal Jeep DJ5 free from the neighbor
91' Caprice 305 SBC abd auto tranny and rearend $400

7343971114_4460aedc08_z.jpg

7343971124_067f7e616a_z.jpg

7185527177_dd40ca0f72_z.jpg

7370793246_49c8aae08c_z.jpg

I started this creation last summer, I had got this postal Jeep from the neighbor for free she had used it to deliver the mail, I removed the body and modified the frame made a underslug frame and repacked the springs to work reversed, I used 2x3 -3/16 rectangular steel, the bodys just sitting on there ,I hadnt planned on using it, I may just use the cowl section and add it to the bird rear section as its the right shape and has the body tag for the title which I have, the axles are a little narrow , may use the rearend out of the 91 caprice as its a nice width, want to go with some wide rear tires I have these almost wore out Super swampers 31 x 13.5 -15s , not sure on the front may widen that axle or trow it out and go with a early ford style as I have a few, it will have a front and rear seat so the whole fam can ride or be a party car, no doors just jump over the side,

I think the cowl from the jeep is a better fit too. This reminds me of some of the late 50 early 60s builds like the beatnick bandit or futurion. The back end of that T-Bird is just cool any way you look at it.

Engine,trans and rearend for $400.00[cl
How do you guys find deals like that?????
Around here you could not buy a rained in engine for that.
Nice project.

craigslist, got the complete car it was in a small fender bender , Ill scrap the hulk for over $300 so its even cheeper

Haha! I like where you are going with this. Though I will admit when I read your opening post I thought it was a misplaced 'for sale' thread! The rear looks more like an 8.8 ford rear out of a pickup than any GM product. It has a oval rear cover. Check the bolt pattern. 5 X 4.75 is GM. ford would be 5 X 4.5 or 5 x 5.5

Whatcha gonna call it?
Eddie

Im troubled with that one maybe I could get some suggestions , it may even end up with a removable bubble top as I work at a place with a thermoformer so it wouldnt be that hard, I cut the back out today took out 26" from stock t-bird width looks like 100" wheelbase should work, thts the WB on that postal jeep frame I reworked to underslung, Ill go right hand drive if I use the Jeep cowl, it looks like Im going that dirrection and the swampers are out will use those tires on that rearend in the pic

Yes I like your thought process on the project. I really like the Tbird clip narrowed. It sure looks like the exhaust end of a jet engine with the fins & the chop,pretty cool! Eddie 65 mentioned a name & what comes to mind is the Jetsons cartoon t.v. show. Put your bubble top on it & you'll look just like George Jetson puttering around in it!

Keep up the good work!

Looks neat I like the black cowl with it

I really hate to ask but that t-bird metal looks great why would anyone cut that beauty in half! Obviously not rust reasons. Well it's too late now so make old Henry ford proud

I think you need to go back to your Intro thread and post up more pics of all the cool stuff I see in he background!!! What's on the wall back there? [dr You're holding out on us. :D

The T-bird rear is a great choice. Keep the picks coming. [P

Latest posts

Back