Talk about parting out a car!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I would almost say that if you contacted him about parts he will most likely try and sell you the car. I dont think a T-Bird lug nut is any different than the lugs you can get anywhere.

The listing says free shipping, but also says local pickup. I think I'll buy it and see if he'll ship it for free. Maybe he'll see how much money he can lose. Then I'll ask him to list the other 19 one at a time. How bad could you need 99 cents? HB

Cheap advertising for a his parts car! It only costs him 20 cents for an ad that exposes his car to thousands of potential buyers for 7 days. You contact him about other parts (or the whole thing), and he sells you the stuff off Ebay.

Cheap advertising for a his parts car! It only costs him 20 cents for an ad that exposes his car to thousands of potential buyers for 7 days. You contact him about other parts (or the whole thing), and he sells you the stuff off Ebay.

That is precisely what he is doing.........trying to beat the system. While I don't like some of the things Ebay does, I think what this guy is doing is wrong. I bet it backfires because people don't like an ad to fool them. Even though we get the drift that he simply wants guys needing fenders, hoods, etc to call him, it still will turn a certain percentage of people off because of his underhanded way of doing it.

What upsets me is that Ebay has pulled legitimage ads of ours off for using some word like "not" in the heading, but this guy will slip under their radar.

Don

That is precisely what he is doing.........trying to beat the system. While I don't like some of the things Ebay does, I think what this guy is doing is wrong. I bet it backfires because people don't like an ad to fool them. Even though we get the drift that he simply wants guys needing fenders, hoods, etc to call him, it still will turn a certain percentage of people off because of his underhanded way of doing it.

What upsets me is that Ebay has pulled legitimage ads of ours off for using some word like "not" in the heading, but this guy will slip under their radar.

Don

Exactly, anyone who would deal with an obviously devious person should expect to get a bad deal.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of any Ebay listing, there is a link titled "report this item." If he gets reported for circumventing Ebay fees and offering items for sale off Ebay, they will pull his stuff. I agree with donsrods that what he's doing is wrong, but as a person whose Ebay seller account can ad up to several hundred dollars a month in fees I understand the seller's efforts.

I've pretty much given up on Ebay. They are very one sided.......they want your money but don't really want to do much for you. There is NO phone number where you can get a real person when you need one, Paypal is the same. They will pull your ad without any warning for some stupid reason also. My Son listed some car part, and they pulled it because they said he didn't supply the vin number, like it was an entire car. I was also charged 3 fees of $80 some dollars each one time for one boat I sold. The first guy backed out so I did a second chance offer to two other people. The third guy bought it, but they treated it like it was 3 different boats and charged me three times. I sent so many emails trying to get my money back that I finally gave up.

There are also some big changes coming this Spring. They have some new hot shot CEO and his goal it to weed out the small dealers and concentrate on the power sellers. The listing fees are lower, but the final value fees are way up. Also, sellers can no longer put in negative feedback against a buyer who does something bad..........only positive feedback. What's with that?? :confused:

For years I have been an Ebay-a-holic, both on the buying and selling end, and have found some parts that would have been impossible to find otherwise. But I think they have gotten too big for their britches and too greedy.

Don

If you scroll down to the very bottom of any Ebay listing, there is a link titled "report this item." If he gets reported for circumventing Ebay fees and offering items for sale off Ebay, they will pull his stuff. I agree with donsrods that what he's doing is wrong, but as a person whose Ebay seller account can ad up to several hundred dollars a month in fees I understand the seller's efforts.

I can understand his efforts as well but in essence monthly fees are cheap for exposure to the world. When I had my cabinet shop, my lease for a small storefront was $1500.00 a month, and that was just local exposure. Add in advertising and so forth and that is alot of selling on ebay. Worse yet are the people who charge $120.00 shipping fees for a $12.00, 2# item. It was at one time a valuable shopping source.

I've pretty much given up on Ebay.

I was also charged 3 fees of $80 some dollars each one time for one boat I sold. The first guy backed out so I did a second chance offer to two other people. The third guy bought it, but they treated it like it was 3 different boats and charged me three times. I sent so many emails trying to get my money back that I finally gave up.

Don

Don, I'm sorry they got you like that, but to be honest, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It happened with the Lark I have as my current avatar. I got nailed with two fees when the first buyer backed out, and to make things worse I went back and sold another car and didn't they nail me again for two fees...with one buyer. Like they say fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Hate to admit I got fooled twice.
I haven't listed another thing since, and I refuse to. I'd rather offer something for half it's value on here or other places then give them another penny. Not to say I won't still buy stuff there, if the price is right, but I won't list anything again

Don, did you do the nonpaying bidder on them? I understand that is the only way you can recoupe the fees.
I know it is hard to get anything done with them. I had a person with -4 feedback give me a negative and by the time I caught the whole thing they were kicked out. I went through the whole process which cost $20 and they still never removed that neg.
I have never had any luck selling cars or stuff to big to UPS. I have only tried to sell may 4-5 cars and ate it on each one pretty much.
I still think it is about the best format for selling items, I have also done pretty good selling on the HAMB but you have to strike while the irons hot there, a day or so in and they cool off real fast.

Yeah, I did the non paying bidder thing and all that. What Ebay does is wear you out trying to get something resolved to the point where you just give up. I had so many emails and all to them that it was like there was no one there who was willing to look at the problem and resolve it. Finally, I just said "the h*** with it" and quit trying. It is like there are no human beings there, only computers.

Don

There is a way to contact them through email and get a response but the link is pretty well hidden and you don't really get to have an interchange, just state the nature of your problem ans accept the response. Then answer the survey if they helped or not.

Most everyone who deals on ebay does get a bumb deal during their learning curve. I have been screwed more then once out of stuff, but I have made more then 100% of the stuff that I have been screwed on.
So, if you all are game, lets crusify this bumb and get his knickers all twisted around his skrawny little BB's. :eek::D:cool:

Maximo

Latest posts

Back