Talkin' bout a fire!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
About 5 yrs ago there was a HUGE fire about 30 miles north of here that burned 45,000 acres, mainly pine trees. Well, 3 days ago another fire started just south of the burned area & after the 1st day it consumed 150 acres. After today it had grown to 4500 burned acres. The 1st picture is from our street 15 miles away on Tues night. The 2nd picture is 10 miles north of the fire & the smoke plume looks like a tornado. The 3rd picture is about 7 miles south of the fire! The smoke plume is over 150 miles long! They had all sorts of choppers & planes rigged up to drop water & were doing that all day long. Tomorrow they're bringing in a DC10 that holds 12,000 gallons of retardant and can dump a swath three-fourths of a mile long and 500 feet wide. Hopefully this will take care of biz! We nearly bought a home in the current burn zone when we bought ours a couple yrs ago, glad we made the right choice!

BoB

Attachments

• bigfire.jpg
    bigfire.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
  • bigcloud.jpg
    bigcloud.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 28
  • backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 27
They can be scary. We've a few in cal this year also. Wife is glad a don't do it any more. Stay safe and watch from afar.

I'm not big on fires either! After retiring from a 30 year career in 2003, in 2004 my house burned. It wasn't a total loss but during the fire fighting, most of my possesions were lost during the fire due to water damage. Had insurance. It paid about 15,000 on a damage that cost me over 30,000 to repair....just lovely. Took another year to rebuild the damage by myself. I live in the woods and am surrounded by National Forest and State game management areas so there is lots of fuel when fires start around here. Unfortunately, our forestry service has a tendency to do "controlled burns" regularly and I know that's a necessary thing but it sure makes me worry when smoke plumes rise in the distance. The part that bothers me is the times they do those controlled burns. They don't seem to have any problem with burning in times when there is a "no burn" notice going in our areas and likely as not, when they start one, it gets out of control.
Keep your eyes open Tripper! I pray it doesn't get to ya...

Ya scary for sure! We had a bad fire season in Washington state this year. Here are a few shots from my place
This one had just started, they got it out within a few hours

This one on the other hand burmed for a while. Up on the reservation near mt adams

Latest posts

Back