Tell me about the Cadillac flat head V8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

Im considering picking up 46 Caddy hearse. It has a flathead V8 with the 3 on the tree. I dont know anything about the engine, but its different so its cool. I imagine its expensive/hard to find parts for. I googled it, but cant find any good info.

im considering picking up 46 caddy hearse. It has a flathead v8 with the 3 on the tree. I dont know anything about the engine, but its different so its cool. I imagine its expensive/hard to find parts for. I googled it, but cant find any good info.

awe you dont need it,, ill take it off ya hands;)

Im considering picking up 46 Caddy hearse. It has a flathead V8 with the 3 on the tree. I dont know anything about the engine, but its different so its cool. I imagine its expensive/hard to find parts for. I googled it, but cant find any good info.

There are several companies that make rebuild kits for nearly every old motor... Egge being one of them. Kits are not cheap but usually included nearly everything needed. I'm sure some of the other guys will post their suggestions for other suppliers they've used.

Egge

You didn't mention if it was running or not?!

BoB

i agree with tripper,, EGGe is the most complete suppilier for old motors i have seen,, kanter has stuff too but ilike egge better

As stated very spendy to go thru.
Help a buddy re-do his 49
Did everything the right way, no short cuts and he had over 4500 just in the engine, and he's still fightin problems after 2 years.
Now he's definatly thinkin about pullin that old flatty and stuffin a crate 502 and 4l80 in it.

Attachments

• Hoss Cadillac 005.jpg
    Hoss Cadillac 005.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 14
  • Hoss Cadillac 006.jpg
    Hoss Cadillac 006.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Hoss Cadillac 013.jpg
    Hoss Cadillac 013.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Hoss Cadillac 018.jpg
    Hoss Cadillac 018.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 11
A freind of mine just went thru one.It was 5 grand right on the money and that was just a stock rebuild.

That motor is real heavy.And I mean heavy.

i doubt the motor runs. I dont know how long its been sitting for. I do know that it only has 45000 miles, and seeing its in a hearse it probably wasnt abused. If it is stuck, a bit of MMO should free it up.

What kind of HP/torque are we talking here? As far as weight goes i cant imagine it being heavier that a BBC.

Did everything the right way, no short cuts and he had over 4500 just in the engine.

A freind of mine just went thru one.It was 5 grand right on the money and that was just a stock rebuild.

Yeah... around 5K is par for the course! On rebuilds I suggest you use someone very experienced... I use a guy that's been in the motor buildin' business for 30 years & there's hardly a motor he hasn't rebuilt.

BoB

dang, so it sounds like this pig cant get out of its own way. Gonna need some serious body mods to lighten her up.

Well, it depends on what you want, how much $$$$ you have. ;)
Check the engine photos thread, I just put 6 more flat head Cadillac photos up. :D
Lots of rods running them, can't be all bad. '22

Check coopersvintage.com burbank,ca. Bob stocks lots of parts.
I have a 40' 346 & bob has suppled many items...at good prices

I didnt read any of the other peoples post so this might be the 2nd time you have heard this but... Cadillac flathead 346 cubic inch 150 horse, used in m5 stuart tanks, 1 for each track, good running and quiet engines. 1 of ours overheats bad, but if its in a hearse its worth it we have a 1948 cadillac herse that hauls a motorcycle in the back , and i have a 1947 cadillac ambulance good luck and if you dont buy it i will haha jk, o parts are very easy to find, canton has them all

Latest posts

Back