The Bogeyman

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay boys and girls we are off and running on this project. The local economy has been doing well, and I have been caught up in working for a living for a while now. Finally things have slowed enough to get some long overdue work done on this project. I started with the axles from a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, a 10 bolt front, and a 14 bolt rear. The 10 bolt is a weak front axle for a 4x4, but with the center section cut out, and the axle tube sleeved back together, I will have big brakes, big bearings, and heavy duty steering. On the back end, the 14 bolt is the strongest 3/4 ton, ( one ton) axle made for quite some time. I cut two 10 inch chunks out of the axle, with the 18 inch wide tires and Bart rims, the overall width is now 73 inches. The axle takes up 49 inches of that at WMS.
6nqpmw.jpg

I built a heavy duty, but pretty basic frame for this one, I will follow up, by adding a tube cage, and extra supports, but 2x3x3/16ths rectangular tube with 2X6 x 1/4 for the step up, and 1/4 plate for the bracketry.

2kr5lz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks beefy enough... I really like the scallops in the bracket. If it wasn`t way over-dimensioned already, I would say it actually helps for strenght too :D

That'll be a health frame [cl:cool:
What did you do for axles, after you narrowed the 14 bolt?
What wheelbase are you gonna end up with?
[P[P[P

As someone who always seems to over-build everything, I appreciate the attention to structural strength. Are you sure those tires are wide enough? :D

That'll be a health frame [cl:cool:
What did you do for axles, after you narrowed the 14 bolt?
What wheelbase are you gonna end up with?
[P[P[P

Moser axles custom makes full floats to length, but I am sure there are other axle companies who do the same.
As far as WB goes, you know I like a dragster, this one will be in the 127 inch area. Right now the back is long enough to cut to the size I want it a little later in the build. The front allows for the stretched cab, and 472, and a radiator, I hope. The axle sits forward to the point that the front tires will be half on, and half beyond the front of the frame.

I cut the cab into a bunch of pieces.... no bracing for this one, cut up far too much for that. A 4 inch channel, and the back of the cab goes back on to the new frame.
wbzcdz.jpg

Latest posts

Back