The H.A.M.B.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude43

Ive been a member here for awhile not the most active but ive been even less active at the H.A.M.B.. I knew they didnt like rats but id been aware that there are those that think they are "saving" these things by restoring them instead ratting them. But then i just got a new thought : Kids back in the day like me started hot rodding old model As and such because it was cheap and easy to sup up. Keyword here being cheap, i think rat rods have taken that place. A 32 ford roadster is nice, but sure to cost you too much to want to really enjoy it on the road. And alot of them are starting to look alike. Rat rods really show more creativeness and you dont have to be in a high tax bracket to own one either. sorry for the soap box im guessing most of you have had this realization but i hgavent been into rats that long i guesss it stems cause i saw a thread over there where the guy was asking if youve ever had to talk someone out of buying something because he has to turn away an older guy who wanted to buy his s-10 frame for his 31 sedan and every one is praising him for "saving" another sedan.

Different strokes for different folks!!:D..There are some very nice people with trailer queens, likewise some nice folk ridin rat rods. Sorta like lookin for a chrome nut in the nut and bolt collection, you have to sort thru some stuff to find em sometimes!!

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.... what you like, I might not.... BUT, and this is where it gets tricky... just because you/I don't like something.. doesn't mean somebody else can't.... That's been the problem with this world since the first man stepped foot this earth.... Very few people can live and let live... no, they have to try and make you believe the way they do.... somebody always trying to tell you what to do, and how to feel.... sticking their nose in places it doesn't belong.... pushing their believe system off on you....

And that sir, is my take on upity Hambers, and their snotty attitudes towards Ratrods... or Tree Huggers against Fourwheelers... or the Government against common sense.... or .....

your car of choice,skill level and how you see it is all diffrent to me and i hope so otherwise how do i get diffrent ideas and new and wonderfull ways to do it ? if we buy the same parts install them the correct way then their is nothing new and wonderfull
I like RATS because it is built of found or hand made parts and it can be any way you want aslong it is safe
ALL are welcome and we learn from all
Thanks for the great melting pot of ideas

I'd rather drive it than polish it.

I used to be particular when woodworking, but have over time realized that I'd rather spend my time doing something other than sanding endlessly to reach perfection. Power to the guys that want to do that. Most non-showcar people don't notice the difference anyhow - they think a trailer queen and a rat rod are equally interesting. Heck, I don't need to compensate for anything anyhow....:D

You guys are hitting the nail on the head. I used to hang out there. I realized soon afterwards it was like walking on eggshells; mention "rust" or "red wheels" and ten of 'em would jump on ya. Don't like that. I'm still a member there, but check things out maybe once a month now. Never post there anymore. If I don't go back it won't be my loss. I check things out here at least 5 times a week. This site is meat and potatoes. No fu-fu crowd here. And I hope it stays this way. Sorry for the rant. Must be the beer talking tonight. And note I said BEER, not some mamby-pamby mineral water.

well, i've never been a hamber, but this was actually the 2nd rat site i joined....i don't like drama b/c of differing opinions-esp. don't like criticism over differing personal tastes and quite frankly could not care less if my rat or rod meets EVERYONE's approval........so i came over here where everyone is pretty nice and accepting of different ideas and stuff

have fun be safe and gather w/the crowd you like.....
that's roddin - rat, street or hot...it's still roddin at its best!

If you are all here to avoid drama and bitching, then why bitch about another website that has nothing to do with this one? Trust me I could care less one way or the other, but this looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Who cares what websites you frequent, let's talk about CARS...

i agree different strokes for different folks.I just got into the rat rod scene about a year ago i had the polished show cars and got tired of not enjoying my cars so i sold them bought my rat and been happy ever since.My freinds thought i lost my mind and made there remarks but they are also the ones who cant keep there eyes off my car when i roll up.Im a member of the hamb also but never post for the same reason as mentioned above.This site rocks and is my fav by far.well enough b@tching lets talk cars the RATTIER the better.:p

If you think what you've seen here is any thing like the crucification you'll get over there you haven't been there much. My only real gripe is they call themselves traditional, in my opinion what they do is anything but traditional. They push show-queens. Not my cup of tea, but still some good info and ideas.

If you are all here to avoid drama and bitching, then why bitch about another website that has nothing to do with this one? Trust me I could care less one way or the other, but this looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Who cares what websites you frequent, let's talk about CARS...

you're right...sorry for my rant earlier...the reason i'm here is b/c of cars, trucks and to learn... of course that needs to be done w/ an open mind --which mine wasn't when posted earlier:(
i apologize if i offended anyone......:eek:

To be honest, it bothers me when somebody takes a nice car or truck and builds a crappy (poor build quality/design) rat rod out of it.

I like building rats out of stuff that would otherwise be crushed.

S-10 Frame

Everyone has great points, I once chimed in on a simliar thread, respectfully and polite. I brought up the point of "re-sale" value. Most everyone agreed, on a 20's or early 30's era car you will generally have a greater resale price and actual more people interested in your rig without a S-10 frame under her. I am a old timer of sorts, and have built many customs, and I will tell you this, on a "fenderless" rig, you probably DONT want a S-10, or Dodge Dakota {very popular too} frame under your ride. Bottom line its your ride, and no-one should judge, and I am always glad to see another rodder cruizin rather then waiting for the winning lottery ticket to buy a custom built frame, RIDE-ON!!

BARTER!!!

Needed to lay out one small point, don't be afraid, and don't forget that magic word-barter. It's coming back in a big way and its a cool alternative to no-cash-syndrome, or just not having the skills for something, or some part of your build. Even if you paint houses for a living, or bake cakes, brother the guy that builds custom frames, well every few years, his house needs paint and every year his kid will need a Birthday cake, gets you thinking right? Hope that helps, torque.;)

This is the best forum I have found. Everyone behaves and we just enjoy what we do and let others do their thing. I have a couple thousand posts on the HAMB so I have spent some time there too. My biggest gripe is how fast stuff disappears. Just a few minutes and your thread has fallen off page one, give it a day and it is 10 pages buried. I understand they don't like the term ratrod so I don't use it.

I love both sites! RRR and H.A.M.B. rock! This is the best rat rod forum in my opinion. Folks are very helpful here. I started out at another rat rod site but the attitude was too toxic.

dude43, I had sort of the same epiphany some time back, but it was with the auto makers and high end hot rods (cost of cars, parts, etc). I posted a short article on my site about my thoughts here. Rat rods seemed to be a sort of rebellion against both. I also tend to be on the artistic / creative side so I appreciate design that traditional folks would not. Just two different mind sets. That's cool.

Reading a post on the HAMB is how I found this site in the first place. A lot of great cars and ideas over there.

I've lurked on a ton of sites spanning many different topics and most are filled with posers and BS'ers ready to flame in a flash. The HAMB is just another. RRR is a rarity, particularly in regards to the high testosterone topic of vehicles.

I post on a very few forums for that very reason. Life's short - why waste it in online virtual pi*sing matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back