The 'ole pulse and move

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIZEGUY

Our resident wisecat
On the alley fence meowing, somewhere in TN.
This welding process is NOT for the beginning welder. You should learn the basics and get good at it before ever trying anything advanced.

To get a good cosmetic weld that looks like a tig type weld you can do what I call the pulse and move. This is done by hitting the trigger.....move around 1/8" to 3/16" ....and hit the trigger again. Repeat the steps until you finish your weld.
Your goal is to have the edges of the weld stack on each other. Like a tig weld.

IMPORTANT: You MUST turn up your heat and wire speed to maintain the same penatration and weld coverage as in a "normal" mig weld.

I've welded suspension components like this for years with no failures.
But please, practice this after you get good at traditional welding.
Do not weld anything critical until you have mastered this. If your in doubt, you should keep trying on unimportant items.

Tracy

Attachments

• 100_0964-1.JPG
    100_0964-1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 179
Thanks!

I asked Wisedude to post this great technique, he showed it to me on the otehr side & I love it. I am not a great welder but I can get the job done. This techique takes practice but looks SO kool, sorta like a string of spot welds!!! Thanks again Wize one. There r some great welders aroung these parts & I love pickin' up these tips from the pros. Hopefully the Bonehead will post some of his kool work!

BoB

Wow, that weld looks great, I'v never seen that done with a mig, I will definately be experimenting with that.

On a side note, when I attended auto body school (17 years ago), there were several huge size migs for training and I noticed some of them had a time function that was adjustable to how long a pause could be set, I always thought it was for doing stitch or "spot" welds but I would bet that would be handy for this technique.........

Thanks for the lesson WIZEGUY!!

I used this method in a number of places on my '53 F-100, mainly where you'll see the welds themselves. Always makes for a nice look when done correctly.

Not really, i just know how to manipulate the wire to make it look good, on thick stuff, you dont have to worry about burn through, so you can take your time, if you use a circular motion, it will look good, plus that way you can insure you have proper penatration.

Latest posts

Back