The rod from the Ag. Shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DON'T put plexiglass in a windshield. It is very inexpensive to have flat laminated safety glass cut at a local glass shop. You have your template, simply take it to them and have it cut. Cheap, easy, right and SAFE.

Title attempt

Wednesday i went to the tag office to get another form in the long process of titling my 46. The mean lady with glasses pretty much told me I had done everything wrong... until she looked at the paperwork i had already done and seen i wasn't as stupid as i looked. The only thing she did for me was hand me a paper and a number to call. I left there mad, and my 68 c10 broke down 10 seconds later after flooring it :mad: (my HEI distributor fried the pickup coil and ignition module so i put a points distributor back in it. I may have hit the big 100 on the speedometer again :D just sayin)

But i called the number yesterday and they said they would send someone to inspect it in no sooner than two weeks. He showed up TODAY :eek:. I still hadn't put my bed on it or a muffler or a floor mat to cover up the wood floor or the other two tires i was gonna put on it. Needless to say it failed with flying colors. The inspector was nice to me though after i showed him our 55 Ford Customline. He told me what to do to make it pass, (and if i had to, what to say -whether its a lie or not). This time i actually have two weeks to do it.

On another note, the frame i built is now sitting ON the ground with my trailer springs cut out. Air bag brackets and a 3 link for the rear are now in the process of being built.

Don't forget the pics! Sounds like the inspector was helpful - that makes a big difference.

DON'T put plexiglass in a windshield. It is very inexpensive to have flat laminated safety glass cut at a local glass shop. You have your template, simply take it to them and have it cut. Cheap, easy, right and SAFE.

What he said! If a rock gets kicked up into plexi at speed, you'll have a bunch of knives flying at your face.

I got a few more parts for my rat rod over the weekend. I got a 15 gallon air compressor tank for my airbags, and a 25 gallon empty barrel of ZEP parts cleaner for my gas tank. I went ahead and mounted my air tank tonight since our torch is broke and i cant cut brackets for my airbags. It will be covered up by the bed when it gets mounted.

Attachments

• air tank back.jpg
    air tank back.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 50
  • air tank front.jpg
    air tank front.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 43
  • air tank middle.jpg
    air tank middle.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 42
  • gas tank.jpg
    gas tank.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 42
Finally got out of school for holiday today and got back to work on the rod. My brother was home from college so I enlisted him to help me out.
He cut my arms for my 3 link while i was welding my airbag brackets on and my 3 link brackets.
I also had him help me paint my rear axle... not sure i like the shiny silver. Looks too new. I think i might repaint it in undercoating or flat black. Also painted some of the frame gray... and it will probably get redone in black too.
I'll post pictures tomorrow of my rear links and bags tomorrow!

rear sittin on bags

I finished up my airbag brackets on the back axle yesterday and today i took some pictures and shot a little paint on the brackets.

Now i know I didn't take time to grind my brackets smooth, but its not needed since no one will know i didn't but you and me. I was having a bad day and didn't really feel like grinding. Just Welding and Cutting. With Fire and Sparks. [;)

let me know what yall think

Attachments

• bag bracket lr.jpg
    bag bracket lr.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 39
  • bag on bracket rr.jpg
    bag on bracket rr.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 35
  • tacked bag bracket.jpg
    tacked bag bracket.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 32
Second Attempt at a Title

This week I decided to work at getting the 3/4 ton inspectable. My dad helped me set the bed on it that I had made two years ago for my 68 C10. And he said he could get me two tires to put on it.
The next thing I did was I cut some spare carpet to cover up my plywood floor so that the inspector would be happy by not seeing the wood.
After that I decided to try and get it running. I took the fuel pump off and soaked the diaphrams in oil to make them soft again and put it back together. I took the valve cover off and have soaked my two stuck valves for three days straight with pb blaster and they are finally working loose. I checked my fuel tank to see how much rust there was... and there was NONE! :eek: And no sludge. Suprised? I sure was. The last thing i did was take the floor back out to take the top off of the 4 speed to figure out why it wouldnt shift into first second third or reverse. It ended up only being a little rust on the shift rails which cleaned with no problem. ( I also found out that all the gears in it are straignt cut with no synchronizers. It would sound awesome whining and grinding behind that 307 :D )
All that leaves now is to put a muffler on it, secure the bed down, drag it around to be sure it runs, and hook up a choke cable.

Attachments

• 1968 bed.jpg
    1968 bed.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 32
  • carpet.jpg
    carpet.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 27
  • flat bed.jpg
    flat bed.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
It lives!!!!!

:D I had my dad drag me down our road this afternoon... and since my transmission will go in second now that's where i had it. It turned over just like it should and i put my foot up to the floor and vroooooom! [cl It kept running even when i pushed the clutch in too! IT LIVES!
Anyway I put it back in gear and mashed the gas farther down and it sped up enough to run into the tractor my dad was using to pull me with :D I ended up pushing the tractor lol!

Well, then we had to keep going down the road for me to be able to turn around and head home and... my dad forgot i didn't have Any brakes. He stopped real fast. so in shock i mashed the brake (which went to the floor) and then pulled the Emergency brake (which i pulled so hard i broke the cables) and Bang. :eek: I hit the tractor again. He started turning around in the road and forgot too that the long bed truck doesn't turn as sharp as a 35hp Kubota. Sooo the chain hit my grill, and wrapped under my driver side fender and then the fender hit the box scrape (It would have busted my lights and popped the tire if it wasn't for me having it in gear and slowing it down with the clutch) But other than that we got back safely.

I'm still Pumped!! :D

Title Problems.

So i've been waiting for 90 days to get my title sent by mail for this truck. The DMV inspector called me yesterday to tell me that he 'forgot' to send the pictures of my truck to the state when he sent the rest of the paperwork. So now he has to come send Another statement and More pictures on Tuesday. Problem is i have already taken enough off of the truck that it would be Impossible to get my title now.

Should i give up on this route, buy a wrecked old seventys truck with a good title and motor and tranny, take the vin plates off and title my 46 as whatever wrecked truck i bought? and send the rest of the wreck to the crusher?

I'm really tired of waiting.

Patience grasshopper.:D Do it right. It will be less problems down the road if you title it right. Swapping VIN's is against the law everywhere, so I wouldn't try it. It might come back to bite you in the butt latter on.

Just tell the guy when he comes back that you have already started restoring it. He took pics before, what did he do with them? Put the ball back on him, it's his mess up, not yours. Be nice, maybe he could use pics of the truck and it's parts as it sits? Good luck!

the hei you took out of your 68, make sure the cap has the ground strap for the coil to the pick up in it, some times there a metal strap sometimes its wire. if its not in there it will cause what you had happen. they get left out alot when someone changes caps or coils.

Should i give up on this route, buy a wrecked old seventys truck with a good title and motor and tranny, take the vin plates off and title my 46 as whatever wrecked truck i bought? and send the rest of the wreck to the crusher?

If you would like to be arrested, charged with a felony and have your vehicle impounded that would be a great idea. :rolleyes:

I didnt realize it would put me in jail....:eek: I'll stick it out i guess. If all else fails and i Have to get it running good, there is a 51 and a 52 chevy truck we got my dad with a 235 and 216 i can pull and use in my 46. And if that doesnt work, how hard is it to get a "rebuilt" title in NC?

I'll start a build for the 51 chevy 5 window soon. My dad wants to fix interior and motor and brakes and DRIVE till the fenders rust off, patch it, and drive some more. :D

Latest posts

Back