The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good flipper.

your motor mount, do you have the room to do a big/ lazy m shape from frame rail to rail. might give you clearance for your steering shaft and filter plus tie the 2 rails together.

just an opinion

looks good flipper.

your motor mount, do you have the room to do a big/ lazy m shape from frame rail to rail. might give you clearance for your steering shaft and filter plus tie the 2 rails together.

just an opinion

I had planned on tying them together with diagonals and maybe throwing in an x-brace or two.

After studying the pictures for a few days....I really don't like the look of having a horizontal piece going from the diagonal to the arch of the front framerail. Also the motor mount attachment point needs to be lower on the frame.

I took a second swing at motor mounts this weekend. trying to use the factory jag mounting scheme wasn't working for me. I think the mounts need to be lower.

Inside the frame rail, just behind the x-brace is where I'm thinking for the frame pad.

IMG_0363.jpg

more posterboard

IMG_0359-1.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

couldn't tell crap with posterbaord. I needed metal.

more recycled WWII dodge 4x4 ambulance turned hunting buggy. This was a rear fender.

IMG_0365-1.jpg

set free with fire

IMG_0368-2.jpg

found something round to add shape

IMG_0370.jpg

first look

IMG_0372.jpg

second look (bolted down)

IMG_0378.jpg

other side

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

My plan was to tie the two sides together with a brace that would run under the oil pan. The top section looks like it will be flimsy no mater what.

Add gussets to the outside too? (mounting bolt would go down through the gold colored tube)

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Not really sure these parts will be used either.

I'm thinking if you added gussets between your bent plate and angled tube that should be stout enough. With your x-brace right there at the lower part of your moter mount I wouldn't think a brace under the oilpan would be needed. All in all looks cleaner.

I'm thinking if you added gussets between your bent plate and angled tube that should be stout enough. With your x-brace right there at the lower part of your moter mount I wouldn't think a brace under the oilpan would be needed. All in all looks cleaner.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the tube was supposed to be the start of a rib (plated/gusseted on both sides).

the curved bracket looks nice.. but the tubing looks out of place to me.. I think it would look nicer made from thick sheet with holes in it... but just my 0.02

I like the look of the curved plate....

Could you just gusset the sides/edges from where is starts to curve near the top to the bottom of the curve....also, is that 1/8" or 1/4"??..if it's 1/4" and gusseted, should be plenty strong with the gussets......JMHO...

Something like this? Gussets on each side flare them out from the pipe to your bent plate. Sleeve the holes with pipe from side to side.

Attachments

• motor mount.jpg
    motor mount.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 65
  • Motor mount2.jpg
    Motor mount2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Yep.....but not sure you'd need anything else there..

Something like this? Gussets on each side flare them out from the pipe to your bent plate. Sleeve the holes with pipe from side to side.

didn't think about the side to side tube but certainly would be strong....just not sure you'd need it if you did both sides or even three gussets two on the outsides and one in the middle...but the tube side to side would look pretty cool too...and beef it up a lot....

I haven't decided if I'm going to work on it this weekend, but I do like the looks of this:

attachment.php

I will probably skip the holes though.

I also found pics on a mount with big ribs that could be adapted to mine...maybe
IMG_3013.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion....

The holes just look cool....I'd keep them...with the 1/4" don't think you'd need anything else but the two as in the last pic....will look killer...

I hope to get a chance to work on it over the long weekend. It would be great to get the motor mounted and the car slid forward on the table so that the front suspension area could overhang the table .....maybe start installing front suspension?

the curved bracket looks nice.. but the tubing looks out of place to me.. I think it would look nicer made from thick sheet with holes in it... but just my 0.02

I took your advice. I made the braces out of sheet and added speed holes. I think it looks a lot better than my last idea. I also added a second rubber pad (small one above the mount).

The mounts look beefy enough to hold the motor now. [cl

I'm on dad's dial-up....pictures tomorrow night.

The small tube gusset wasn't cutting it. I needed to do something more substantial, but not super heavy. I also decided the mounts needed upper biscuits.

I wanted a flange to go around the buscuit, but didn't have the right size tube...so I made my own. ...from cop car kick panels.

I started by making a strip of flat stock.
IMG_0388.jpg

wrapped around a piece of roll bar tube
IMG_0389.jpg

it worked!
IMG_0391.jpg

Now that I had a better idea what I was making, I cleaned up the end
IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

time for sheetmetal gussets
IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

the top bolt hole was the hard part to figure out. I sleeved it and then cut the sleeve down.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

I welded the circles first (welds under the big gusset)
IMG_0402-1.jpg

and added speed holes
IMG_0404-1.jpg

socket fits great on the top bolt
IMG_0408.jpg

with a rubber
IMG_0411.jpg

Now the other side.

The passenger side mount is shorter due to the engine offset (more foot room for me). I had to cram things closer to get it all to fit. hammer time!
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Latest posts

Back