The Rusty Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyster36

Picked up this 30-31 sedan last week. My son, which is 7, wants to build a rusty rat. I'm getting closer on my coupe project, so i went ahead a picked it up.

Plans:

7" chop
4" channel
suicide front
tunnel ram
flat clear the rust.
20140503_192236_zps80b11ad3.jpg

20140503_194225_zpsb6d7841a.jpg

20140503_194213_zps17a0fc08.jpg

Good start of a project!

I wouldn't recommend clear coating the rust, long-term adhesion would be my concern. There are ways to protect it without painting. I know on mine the "Surface rust" like you have isn't progressing, so there's no real reason to do much to it.

Thanks guys. My son is all jacked up about building a rat. He wants to make a chain steering wheel out of the chain in the shed. He has pretty good thoughts for 7.

As far a clearing it, House of color makes a adhesion promoter that we use on chrome to paint it. It's pretty wicked stuff. Paint rep said sray a coat of that on and clear away. I think it'll hold up and you won't get all dirty leaning on it.

This one I will be watching for sure! Don't know why, but my favorite ride has always been a baaaaddd Model A Tudor Sedan.... Sinister looking chop, a little more in the front than the back, big engine with a tunnel ram and scary looking air filter housing... And here I am building a T bucket.. LOL

I picked up a drop axle from Kansas Jimmy from Hookers Hot Rod Shop. Also scored a axle and bones from a 36. I have some 42-48 front brakes. Got a 9 inch for it. Gathering parts. Bout time to get some tubing and build me a chassis.

Latest posts

Back