The S-10 Challange

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddguy1

Yeah, that's right I said S-10, and yes I'm gonna open up that "can-o-worms"
[cl
Ok please let me explain my thoughts here. Quite often the question comes up.... can I use an S-10 frame for my Rat Rod. Then we see the pages of answers of why it's not the best choice. I come from that school of thought myself. However, I have to admit to myself that I have in fact seen a number of very good looking well thought out builds based on the S-10 chassie and newer cabs, and yes they where open wheel jobs too.

So my challenge here is for us to put together a thread with pictures and thoughts about what seems to work and look good and why. A study of proportion and design lets say.

I'd also like to include a look at newer late model sources of insperation. But please guys lets not focus on what doesn't work, or the thought that something is to new to use. Lets take an honest look and what the future could look like to the rat rod comunity.

I know there are a lot of guys out there that surf and save interesting pics. Lets see'm, along with a good hearted critiec of what you like and what you think could look better.

My main reason for starting this is simple. Even though I do subscribe to a certain build style, I still believe in "build what ya got". So lets try to help out the guys figure out what can work and look cool.

Ready set...... go! [P

I'll start with a few picks I've collected.

The first pic represents something that you just don't find in my area any more. So this makes me look to other options. I realize some of these are fairly advanced metal fab projects, but I know there are some ideas out there that are more straight forward.

Attachments

• ShugYardArt.jpg
    ShugYardArt.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Late model hot rod truck.jpg
    Late model hot rod truck.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 23
  • 0803rc_07_z+trucksters_explained+.jpg
    0803rc_07_z+trucksters_explained+.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 0803rc_03_z+trucksters_explained+.jpg
    0803rc_03_z+trucksters_explained+.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Hi-Boy Jimmy (Large).jpg
    Hi-Boy Jimmy (Large).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Miller%27s%20001.jpg
    Miller%27s%20001.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Miller%27s%20002.jpg
    Miller%27s%20002.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 26
Here is one that I'm pretty sure is on an S-10 chassie. The proportions look good, not to nose heavy. The suspension is well hidden with the use of black paint and a well positioned grill shell.

Attachments

• 100_1633.jpg
    100_1633.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 31
Even though this one is not on an S-10 chassie, it could just as easily be. The stance and proprotions are similar and the suspension is again well hidden with the use of black paint. In my opinion this truck would look just as good built on an S-10. It could also be easily upgraded to tubular control arms and air bags then tuned to carve up those corners.

Attachments

• DSC04972.jpg
    DSC04972.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
No pics, but some opinions on what needs to be considered/fixed for an S-10 frame or late model cab to 'work'.

As for the frame, if you get past the IFS showing, the only problems are the position of the front wheels, the front frame horns, and the steering box. The font suspension needs to me moved forward or it's very hard not to have that front heavy look. But if you move the front wheels forward, that leaves the front horns and steering box way out front - ugly and out of proportion.

Rack and pinion?

And then the late model cabs look odd with the wide flat firewall. The biggest problem I see is almost everybody that tries to make a 60's and up open wheel rat wants to use a 32 style upright grill and it just DOES NOT WORK!!!! The proportions need to be wide and low like that 4th drawing to match the wide low stance of a later model cab.

Even drawing the sides of the firewall to narrow the body line to the narrow grill (like the 5th drawing) ends up looking screwy. The only other option I see is to actually cut the cab all the way to the back wall and pinch it together a few inches at the firewall - if you want the narrowed look.

I have one of these deals on the back burner myself, but I'm using a Ranger instead. Looked at the Twin I beam suspension and figured it could be modified into a single straight axle. Can still use the same brakes/steering and later components, but with a more hotrodish look. As Sam mentioned, the cab needs to be pinched, to pull off the earlier iron look. But if you stand the 'A' pillars upright, chop and lengthen the roof, an 'A' style grill would look more at home. The cowl is going to be a sticking point as well in my opinion. I managed to get the top section of a model A fuel tank/cowl and plan to incorporate it to further the older look. My avitar is my blueprint if you will, of what I'm aiming for. A bit more 'custom' maybe than 'rat', but either way I'll end up with a hotrod of some sort, or a Shriner's clown car. I'm hoping for the hotrod.:D I'm real interested in the direction this post is going to take and the ideas that come out. Thanks for starting it roddguy 1. Ok, lets see what happens.[P

Here is the link to the thread started here before. It has a couple of good pics.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10522

Around here everybody and his brother have ads and signs offering $100 bucks for junk cars. Cool old stuff is getting hard to find. Kids want to do the same thing we did but all they have to work with is S10's and Rangers on a hamburger flipping budget. Maybe some good ideas will come out of this thread for them. :)

Latest posts

Back