The search for my first rod...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photog

So something I finally figured out after a month or so of serious looking for my first project car or truck: I can keep talking about the One That Got Away (several actually) or just relax. I'm gonna relax because I really don't have anything specific in mind and I figure if there have been several close calls in my first month, something is gonna land in my lap. Kinda like fishing, huh?

In the mean time I plan on going to Delaware's (Ohio) Blast from the past cruise in this weekend and Ratt Riot the following. I will take a ton of photos and send some to the magazines, ask a ton of questions and try to learn a little.

I hear that,,,,, I was out looking for one kind of truck to build, Got fed up and quit looking. One day while the wife and I where out on one of our outings on the back roads I seen somthing behind this guys shop. Stopped in and found out the guy was a high speed mopar nut. We got to talking and he got the 40 Binder with a pile of mopar stuff he bought. He didden't want the truck but needed to take it with the other stuff. I ended up getting it for $200.00 deliverd to my place. Wasen't even looking. :D

Attachments

• DVC00006.JPG
    DVC00006.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DVC00004.JPG
    DVC00004.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DVC00016.JPG
    DVC00016.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DVC00017.JPG
    DVC00017.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DVC00015.JPG
    DVC00015.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I think one problem in your search is where you "really don't have anything specific in mind", as you mentioned. Most of us have some leaning toward one style or make of car over others, so we kind of zero in on those types. It sounds like you might be shotgunning a little. I don't mean that in any unkind way, simply to make a point. :):)

I have mentioned before that a car has to really turn a person on to make them want to own and build it. There are a bunch of really neat old cars out there that I wouldn't want to own............they are cool, but do nothing for me. So if one of them came available I might give it a thought for a second, but would probably end up not getting it. That is what I suggest you do, find out what kind of car you really really want to own, and start narrowing your search.

Sometimes cars that we hadn't thought about fall into our laps and we end up liking them, but generally we buy something that excites us from the beginning. You will find something, just be patient and have the $$$ sitting there. :)

Don

Its like anything else. Just bury yourself in the hobby, go to the meets, talk to guys, keep checking the classifieds, craigslist, and then suddenly (after a bunch of hours) you will stumble onto "the one".

I have 3 of "the ones":eek:
I wasnt looking for 2 of them, they just came along.

I see where you guys are coming from. The problem is I see several different styles that make me go "oh yeah I would love that!"

Here are the two main ideas I have:

40's 50's 4 door to make into a cop-car. Now none of you know this but I am also an author and write about vampires and werewolves. Silly, I know. But the cop car would have a horro theme to it. The Necropolis PD with a bunch of little things like a skeleton handcuffed in the back etc..... flat black and white paint scheme.

I also love the rat rod trucks and really want one.

I think I will probably go w the 4 door first. Less building and chassis work for this neophyte.

We'll see!

If you don't know what you want, how will you ever have it? Picture the perfect ride, the one you most lust after. Find, or draw a picture of it. Place the picture on your bathroom mirror, and think of it exclusively while you brush your teeth, or do your grooming. Place a copy where you tend to spend most of your time, during the day. Think of it as much as you can. Picture yourself building it, what tools you would use, what colors it would be. Picture in your mind's eye driving it for the first time, what it smells like, and how it handles and accelerates. The reactions of people who should happen to see the car, and the satisfaction you will gain by having it. Each day venture forth and realize you could be blessed by such a project at any moment, around just the next curve. Before you know it, you will have your prize,( even though you can't fathom how it came to you). Just be sure of what you want, life is very short. You may soon realize what you thought you wanted, is not what you want at all. Therefore, don't set your goals too low, ask for what you really want, and be able to accept it when it comes. True happiness in life is not having what you want, but wanting what you have...

just the wisdom of a dog...

damn dawg.... usually one has to climb a mountain to hear something that good!! Thanks a ton for the words of wisdom.... and I mean that sincerely!

They pick you!!!

I see where you guys are coming from. The problem is I see several different styles that make me go "oh yeah I would love that!"

Photog,
I'm lucky like that... I only like one type of car... er... nevermind!!! Cars are like chicks... you don't pick them... they pick you! The rat car will find you & u'll b glad u didn't get any of those other "ones that got away"!!! :D:D:D

Good luck,
BoB

Yeah just keep thinking and looking. When i was looking i had a wide range, i wanted something in the early 50s and older. At first i wanted a rat rod, then i started looking at pictures and hearing ppl talk and all of that good stuff, then i realized that i wouldnt fit comfortable in a rat and be able to drive long distances. I have a bummed hip so sitting on the floor just wont work for me. I put myself on a budget, and with this being the first rod to build then i was looking for something cheap. Maybe you should broaden your wants and maybe think on some stuff. If this is your first rod then have more options out there so you can get something and have fun with it, and still be within your options. Also if you do that then it can be a learning experience and youll know what to do on the second one.

But "quit looking" so to speak and itll come to ya. I was looking everywhere and wanted something now now now, everything i looked at was either in way to bad of shape and they wanted to much for it, or it was just out of my budget. So i quit looking and was like ill take my time. Then one day the wife came to me and said that she forgot about a car that was behind her parents house, which is right down the road from us. So i was like what is it, and of course being the way she is she had no clue, but it was a big fender car. So i had to go through all my die cast cars until she saw one that it was kinda like. :D Turns out it was a 52 plymouth 2 dr sedan. Got it for 100 bucks. So just quit looking frantically and itll come to ya.

Word Dawg........I was driving down the road with the family in tow when I came across my 38 IHC fat fendered pig........best part on the deal....$35.00 for the truck. I am still working onit and probably won't have it on the road for another year. Since then, I have found more then 10 other rides and dragged them home and sold a couple and traded some for other stuff too.
I love taking the kids and wife out on excursions like this, they love looking at old rides just the same :D:rolleyes:
Good luck on the search, I just collect them cause I like them, and it always seems to be the correct choice.:eek:

Maximo

Latest posts

Back