There's bad oil out there...............news!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a additive for a year or so now. I posted here awhile back about this but didn't seem to get much intrest. If anyone is interested I will go to the shop and get the name of the stuff I use. I am sure there are other brands out there as well.

I had heard this. I just got an Isky cam for an engine I'm working on and the cam instructions included a one page warning and recommendations on this very topic.

I have been useing a additive for a year or so now. I posted here awhile back about this but didn't seem to get much intrest. If anyone is interested I will go to the shop and get the name of the stuff I use. I am sure there are other brands out there as well.

I'm interested.

I'm interested

Gastrick,

It's called ZDDPLUS. I did a bit of research just to make sure all this wasn't about selling snake oil. It seemed to be true so I got some. Also heard that GM was discontinuing its additive. I found the biggest bang for the bucks from a guy on Ebay. Heres the web site.

www.zddplus.com

Ive always added some cam and lifter lube to every other oil change.
I got it from my dad the only proof i have is that ive never blown a engine.

you might also be aware that there are alot of bad SBC cams floating around, if you measure the centerline of each lobe, they are each about .015 short of where they should be, and around .100 short when you get to #8...

I use 15-40 weight diesel oil...oil or the big commercial diesels in everything I own.

I have personally lost 2 cams (1 SBC 1 PONT) in the past 2 years due to this. I found out the hard way after talking to my body shop manager (he lost 2 SBC cams). I use the comp cams addative as it is synthetic and has the zinc addatives. Most of the newer stuff has roller lifters so it isnt an issue.

Oil without ZDDP

I've known about this for awhile. After spending about 25 minutes on phone with CA----L tech department I no longer use a oil I've used for many years. Valvoline Racing oil and Syntec 20/50 are the only gas engine (locally available) oils that are flat tappet compliant. Rotella and Delo 400 are also compliant.

new oil

This has been going on for a long time with the new oil messing up older engines.Common sence should tell you that an engine that was born and raised on 30 weight oil that its not a good idea to use 40 or 50 weight in. Kinda like the deal with our old hotrods not running worth a crap on this new ethanol added crap we have had forced on us .Anything that the huge corporate auto manufacturers can do to force people to update and buy the newer junk on the market they will,and then their dollar has the EPA making regulations to back them up.Back in the day there were only a very few places to get camshafts from,Crane,Isky,and now there are an abundant amount of cams on the market.Quality control is gone.[P

Yea, I lost four cams in a row from this several years back and the cam companies didn't even know what was causing it except to say I must have been doing something wrong myself. I was really frustrated because up to that point I had never lost a cam.
Comp Cams came out with this info about 6 to 7 years back when they recommended breaking in a new cam with Rotela T.

Latest posts

Back