thermostats????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
How many of you guys run thermostats in your rods?and what size?
I usually dont but am thinking of putting one in my t-bucket.
I'm switching over to an electric fan soon ,so i might be ready for gatlinburg trafic this summer?!

I use 180 degree high flow {Mr.Gasket} and drill 3 1/8" holes around the outside of it so it won't trap air below the thermostat when you're filling it up.

I use a 180 thermostat with just one 1/8" hole. Works fine in the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge traffic. I also run dual electric fans, and big Griffin NASCAR radiator.

If you don't run a thermostat, you're not giving the coolant enough time to cool down and do it's job! I run a 180 in mine. Tried other temps, but this one works the best. Use the correct mixture of antifreeze and water also..CR

just like they all said . the tstat dose 2 things . makes it get to operating temp. but more importantly regulates the temp . if the coolant dont go through the radiator slow enough , the radiator cant do its job. and yes i just do the one hole thing in all the ones i put in . to keep from traping air under it . if you dont run a tsat , take an old one and gut it and use the disk as a flow resrtictor . only use quality name brand stats . not the cheapest off brand you can find .

thermostat

With no thermostat, the rear cylinders will run hotter, like they said a good t-stat, we also use a product called water wetter, it makes the cooling system run cooler, they will run up to 20 deg. cooler

Latest posts

Back