Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When cops were friendly, productive members of the community, not swelled-headed purveyors of harassment.

When they stopped you to check out your ride, not to cite you for "violations".

When they were born before YOU, not after your first born.

When we saw the cops, we stopped whatever we were doing, and TALKED to them. We didn't text 5-0 and bugger off in every direction.

It was a matter of mutual respect. Remember respect?

When the Doctor who came into your hospital room was older than you.

Free air at gas stations.

Those air pumps that dinged and you turned the handle to the poundage you wanted to put in your tires.

15 cent McDonalds burgers. 1,000,000 sold.

Home gardens.

Don

The line across the gas pump lanes that set off a dinger in the garage.

Stopping whatever i was working on in the garage to pump gas when above dinger went off.

When cruising happened every decent summer night, and you didn't need to advertise to find participants.

When A&W was a drive-in, not a drive thru.

When drive-in theatres still existed. (The original social network). A place to chase skirts, check out some cool cars, and hang out with 500 of your best friends.

When racing for pink-slips was real, not like the stupid TV show.

When a "mag" wheel was made of magnesium.

When "drifting" was invented. Long before the phrase or the idea of "Tuners" was.

Gas station/repair shops with grease pits.
Getting gas and just telling the pump jockey to "Put it on my bill".
Paying my gas bill at the end of the month with a "counter check".

Families who were close. I remember visiting Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, and even distant relatives on a pretty regular basis. Now we seldom get involved with other peoples lives and only see relatives on holidays, if then.

Pizza shops that sold it by the slice, usually about 10 cents each.

Girls and Women who rarely swore and were defended by Men if someone said something foul in their presence, Today most of them are the ones using those words. :(

Friendship rings..............going steady.

4 track and 8 track tape players in cars.

Being able to buy Model A's, 50 Fords, and most other old cars for $ 25 or so.

Cars that were perfectly good but sent to the junkyard just because the owner wanted something newer. I've bought lots of cars from the junkyard that they would deliver to my house for $ 25 or $ 35, and they ran good. But if you wanted to keep the battery they wanted another $ 5 or $ 6.

The "gas shortages" of the 70's when everyone was so sure we would never see gas again that they were selling muscle cars with Hemis, 427's, etc dirt cheap and buying econoboxes instead.

Gas lines in the 70's. Someone would come into work and announce they found a gas station that was pumping gas and everyone would fly out the door, hoping to score a few gallons before they ran out.

The day JFK was killed. The world changed a lot that day, and we weren't the innocent society we once were. :(

Don

The day JFK was killed. The world changed a lot that day, and we weren't the innocent society we once were. :(

I was a freshman in hi school & was in study hall when they came over the PA system saying the Prez had been assassinated. Years later I was in Dallas, got lost & saw the freeway, turned left & OMG... the grassy knoll. It is instantly recognizable... a *very* freaky feeling! You've seen it may times but when you drive right where it happened it raises the hair on your neck.

BoB

The day JFK was assassinated, I was commuting from Houston in a car pool headed north on Hwy 59. This was before the 4 lane had been completed north of the San Jacinto River Bridge. As our luck had it there was a bad wreck on the bridge and we were south of it. We sat in bumper to bumper traffic for 4 hours and listened to the news of the assassination on the Radio. The car pool consisted of me and 4 women so the wait wasn't that bad. [ddd

Even tho it was a sad day in American History, the day Elvis died was the most memorable to me.

Gas station/repair shops with grease pits.
Getting gas and just telling the pump jockey to "Put it on my bill".
Paying my gas bill at the end of the month with a "counter check".

The Grocery Store that I worked at had a metal vertical file system that fanned open and there were spring clips that held the due invoices that were filed alphabetically. Because of the lack of good refrigeration, a lot of people would buy just what they needed at the time and it was put on their "Bill" and come payday they would come in a pay all of the tickets at once. I can even remember the cashier asking the owner if certain items could be charged to someone that had ran up a large bill and he would usually let them have the necessities but wouldn't let them charge frivolous items. He was a good and fair man !

The day JFK was shot I was about 18 and had bought a 53 Stude that had a 283 Chevy in it and it had not run in years. The kid who owned it was in the service and a buddy and I were in him Moms yard trying to get it running. She came out and brought us some cold drinks and told us "The President has just been shot !" We were in shock. She kept coming out with updates and later on told us he had died. :( In those days stuff like that was unheard of, not like today where crazy stuff happens all the time.

I can still remember seeing his little boy Jon Jon saluting his Dads passing casket and how sad that was. :(

Don

When part stores had the part you needed in stock.

Most hot rods had three pedals no heater or AC.

$99 Earl Schivbe paint jobs.

The Sunkiss tan girl

Run home from school to watch Sally Star

Mom and Pop store instead of Wawas,

Buying candy cigarettes and cigars was cool

Gas stations and store were closed Sundays and Holidays

Going to McDonalds was a treat not a way of life

Home cooking did not come in a box.

When a handshake or your word was good enough for a deal.

Wow.....

When cops were friendly, productive members of the community, not swelled-headed purveyors of harassment.

When they stopped you to check out your ride, not to cite you for "violations".

When they were born before YOU, not after your first born.

When we saw the cops, we stopped whatever we were doing, and TALKED to them. We didn't text 5-0 and bugger off in every direction.

It was a matter of mutual respect. Remember respect?

How do you really feel?!.... you must have had some serious confrontations with the POPO... too bad....as most of them are friendly, hard working guys and gals that are simply doing their job.... of course society has changed a bit over the years.....there is little respect for any authority whether or not it's cops or teachers or parents....plus the fact there's been more cops killed this year in the first six months of 2011 than in all of 2010 makes them a bit more "cautious".... not from Lack of respect, but from changes in our society....any job...like doctors, auto techs and other working stiffs... you got the good, bad and ugly in every profession.... and the younger people who are filling the positions for the retiring officers have a different view on society than the old guys..... things change and sometimes it's not what we'd like to see.....I truly am sorry that you've had such bad experiences that you would condemn an entire profession for the actions of a few)..... seriously....:(

Bucky beaver and Ipana tooth paste....

Jack Parr hosting the tonight show..... Steve Allen hosting the Tonight show..... When Darius Rucker wasn't a country singer...LOL

Here in Tejas we had the 'blue' laws. You could hardly buy anything but the bare necessities on Sunday & they draped off most sections in the grocery stores.... weird stuff.

We only got liquor by the drink here in the early 70's. B4 that bars could only sell 'setups' & u brought u're own & poured it in yourself! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Out of Curiousity.....

Are there any more "Dry counties" out there? Ones that don't sell liquor at all? I remember when I was stationed in Louisianna that there were a ton of them.....just wondering if dry counties still exsist....[S

Latest posts

Back