Thinking about give'n up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tilt the seat back? That's what I did in the Olds - I raised the front of the seat 1" and it gave me a couple extra inches of headroom.

Ya, it will be a small bench kinda curved and layed way back, will be tough get'n in and out. Got a set of M&H tires come'n that are about 5" taller and wider. So we will see how that looks.:rolleyes:
Just realized I didn't put the pics of the frame in the last post. That frame kick up is where the seat will be right between them:eek:

Attachments

• frame kick up 010.jpg
    frame kick up 010.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4-link 006.jpg
    4-link 006.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 4-link 007.jpg
    4-link 007.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 21
Oh Cosmic, You have a great start on a very different rod please try some photo shop, maybe shorten up the back of the body and leave some of the rear frame exposed, move the body forward on the frame and use a shorter motor like a v-8 or v-6 don't stop on this rod just open up your mind and find the way to do it!

PS. You will be glad you did!

The big wheels and tires didn't work out to well:eek:

Attachments

• Fat tire 009.jpg
    Fat tire 009.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Fat tire 006.jpg
    Fat tire 006.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Fat tire 003.jpg
    Fat tire 003.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 39
  • Fat tire 008.jpg
    Fat tire 008.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 37
It does kinda "stick out" a bit. :rolleyes:

I think it helps the look from the side, though. Fills the opening much better than the smaller tire. I also think Sam had the right idea with cutting down the trunk. Whack it and fill the opening like you did on the other side.

puzzlegif.gif

I believe the good DR is onto something there! Looks way better with the shorter trunk and the lower filled. That reat overhang is what's killing it!

I believe the good DR is onto something there! Looks way better with the shorter trunk and the lower filled. That reat overhang is what's killing it!

Agreed... Looks good with the pancaked trunk and filled fender well... Keep at it... It's going to look wild crusing down the road!

Damn DR C! I thought I was losing my mind until I saw the pic was actually moving![S

I like it bobbed and filled in the back as well. Keep at it![P

I just wish it was that easy to do.
Thanks Doc, it is what it needs but those tires ain't gona make it eather.
Now I need to find a pair of Alcoa bud wheels:rolleyes:

i might not be getting the problem

correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds to me like you haven't built a car from scratch before. i see you have built a few nice door cars though. those are easy to do. not much fabricating just body work and such. i have always found when people build from scratch they feel like they are way over their head at different times. it does take a lot out of you for quite a while. i know i was at times on all my projects. i am not ragging on you either. i have abandoned many things i have started in my life. sometimes i felt good about it, some bug me to this day. that's life i guess. this would be real cool if finished but if the enthusiasm isn't there anymore, get rid of it. you will get your groove on again on something else soon enough. there was a comment i had on it though. maybe if you lengthened the frame in the front, so you could move the body forward, maybe you could get the rear back farther without to much work.

Believe me its not my first and won't be my last. Look at my avitar pic I did that Merc around 1975. I started this thing almost 4 years ago as a joke/bet and went great guns for a while but my real job got in the way, gone for months at a time, need to feed the family and all the rot.... Not make'n excuse's or looking for symathy just plain bored with it and need the space. I will be very deeply involved in a vw project when I am home this winter, Here is a rendering we hope to get very close to.
This is what I do and it may not be scratch built, but look at this car there is very little vw left in it.

The Puzzle needs to go away, I guess I lost the bet.

Attachments

• 534660_323071074451380_270445096_n[1].jpg
    534660_323071074451380_270445096_n[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
Believe me its not my first and won't be my last. Look at my avitar pic I did that Merc around 1975. I started this thing almost 4 years ago as a joke/bet and went great guns for a while but my real job got in the way, gone for months at a time, need to feed the family and all the rot.... Not make'n excuse's or looking for symathy just plain bored with it and need the space. I will be very deeply involved in a vw project when I am home this winter, Here is a rendering we hope to get very close to.
This is what I do and it may not be scratch built, but look at this car there is very little vw left in it.

The Puzzle needs to go away, I guess I lost the bet.

I hear ya. At times, I have been ready to throw in the towel on my project, but, I will not. I put A/C in my garage this spring, builr a storage shed in the back yard for everything non-var related and went out yesterday and got blinds to hang on my six foot window in the garage. You bet I am serious about doing this project. Here are some pics of my VW project and shed.

By the way. I am 66 years "young" and retired in good health. I HAVE NO EXCUSES. Hang in there.

Picture003-2.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

SHED008.jpg

First, let me say I'm very pleased you created a thread about the "Puzzle". I've spent more than a few hours puzzling over the "Puzzle", trying to figure out where to go from where you are at. While I am impressed with what you have accomplished in putting that body together I have a hard time envisioning how to make a cool hot rod out of it and avoid having it be simply an oddity.
Perhaps that is your problem with it now. I believe it has the potential to be something special and very cool. Whether you sell it or keep it, I sure hope it doesn't get shoved off into a corner never to be competed.
If it was mine (it's a good thing you are not close by, or it would be), I'd start a contest on RRR to submit sketches of what the "Puzzle" should look like finished. There's enough creative & artistic members here that I'd expect some very interesting possibilities.

You gotta do what you gotta do.
I have also been in the car hobby for most of my 59 years, and I am also doing only my third total build up. And the other two were just jalopys I built in my teens so this is really the only car I have built from the ground up, out of the hundreds of projects that have passed through the portals of my work space in my life. And believe me, it is a whole different level than starting with something that was already engineered no matter how much you modify it. It will also be my last. It has taken 8 years and I thought I could do it in one. At one point I was going to leave it behind when I moved from Texas and my gf at the time talked me into staying with it. I'm not sorry I did but doubt I would have even started the project if I knew how slow it goes when you have to engineer every aspect of the car. Just getting the steering wheel and pedals all in the right place is is enough to make most people want to quit.

ya ain't gonna get nothing for it if no-one can drive it...
Right now it looks like every other dream turd on ebay or craigslist you see advertised for 12 grand that everyone laughs at
let me think...what's the one common denominator in all my failures....
I remember.... I spent the money, got everything I needed then gave up short of winning!
You f'ed it up somewhere and don't want to talk about it? Kinda like when you get to the end of a video game and realize that to finish there's something you should have done differently half way through that requires you to start over again from day one?
You ran out of ideas?
You don't know what to do past this point?

Every regret I have regarding any project centers around getting past the point of spending the money to the point of fit and finish where you just need to do the work to end it...and letting people talk me out of winning...and I dump it or junk it...
The prospect of finishing a project is no where near as disappointing as the lack of a market for an unfinished project other than for spare parts or scrap iron.
But if it means absolutely nothing to you and has no value, sponsor a friend who will do something with it. or at least mentor them on it.
As far as if there's a bug in your ear telling you to sell it to cash out... I don't see alot of money sitting there.
kinda like an economy commuter car or a cb radio or a tv... worth something if you can use it but it's made out of stuff worthless for anything else.

Does that inspire you?
It's way cool
I'm still saying finish it...or turn it into something operational that you CAN sell with your tail in the air :D

Latest posts

Back