thinking of doing somthing crazy..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annoying Eric

Well gas hit over $4.50. At around 5 mpg. Daily driving my rod is getting tough. lol. I was NEVER one to complain about price of gas but its getting crazy now. Im almost thinking about throwing a stock GMPP 350ci into the car with a custom 8 individual throttle body setup. Wont have the power like i have with the stroker right now. But I don't have it to race around like a kid.

Anyone have opinions on this?? Just an idea so far.

I'm stick a bone stock 350 W/ 700R in my truck with 3:42-3:55 gears should be around 15-17MPG,
But i'm getting older & could really care less what folks think![S

milage

327, 3:36 gears and a 2OOR4 in the dodge truck and l get about 2O MPG on the freeway & 16 in town.

35O, 325 gears and a 7OOR4 in the 3OISH dodge l hope to get around the same.

0 D tranny's and tall gears help a lot with MPG.

l gave up the big motors when gas prices started getting stupid years ago & if you have to run higher octane or in Canada, your'e boned.

Later :cool:

327, 3:36 gears and a 2OOR4 in the dodge truck and l get about 2O MPG on the freeway & 16 in town.

35O, 325 gears and a 7OOR4 in the 3OISH dodge l hope to get around the same.

0 D tranny's and tall gears help a lot with MPG.

l gave up the big motors when gas prices started getting stupid years ago & if you have to run higher octane or in Canada, your'e boned.

Later :cool:

What size tires are you running?

My 40 Pontiac has a 73 model 455 HO Poncho, 700r4, 2.54 rear, out of a 77 Nova, and 255x60R15 rear tires.
At 1600 rpm, 72 mph, I get 17 highway and in town ?
The ole Poncho has plenty of torque to handle the tall gears too.

Here's one way to look at it - Let's say you spend $3500.00 for a crate motor. You now get say 20 mpg. You drive 10 miles to work everyday, total 20 miles. If you are currently getting 5 mpg, you use approx 4 gallons of gas a day = $18.00/day. With the new motor you now only use 1 gallon a day = $4.50/day. A savings of $13.50/day. $3500.00/$13.50 = 259.xxx At $4.50/gal it would take you approximately 260 days to break even (if I did the math correctly [S ).

The 3200 stall in the 48 is fun, but the dodge will be getting an overdrive auto with a lock-up torque converter.....and a smaller motor.

Is this the ride we're talking about ?

null_zps8f58170d.jpg

If it is ?
Just change out the manifold to a Victor Jr. put a 650 Edelbrock carb on it with a 700r tranny.

Yeah thats the car. I drive 50 miles a day round trip to work. Im totally with you OldIron. its my intake and carbs that are killing me. Im also running a th400 tranny which doesnt help at all. This weekend ima fill my tank and plan to drive it all day so ima try and get a good mpg number.

I could also swap out for a 700r4 and throw a mild cam in it and a single carb. So many options. I also have a big tire drag car that i can throw my current engine in so its not like it would be going to waste.

O/D transmission

If your current transmission is a TH350 or PG, a 200-4R will bolt in its place, and the driveshaft will work as is. However, you'll have to slide the crossmember back.

If your current transmission is a TH400, the crossmember will be ok, but the driveshaft length will have to be checked.

I prefer the 200-4R. Mine lives just fine behind an Olds 455 in a 4000 lb car.

440shorty

Latest posts

Back