This is NOT a Mustang!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're screwing up....plain and simple! First they're messing with an iconic brand that doesn't need any help. Second by pushing something that quite frankly we don't have grid to handle.

I think they are starting to see the folly of this. They have cut production of the Mustang e and the Lightning F150 because of lack of sales. Dealers are refusing to carry them on their lots. The folks that want these things have pretty much already bought them. GM is having the same problems, their dealers are opting out of carrying EV’s. Stellantis ( Chrysler) is reportedly having second thoughts as well, they have a new twin turbo inline six to replace the Hemi V8 , and there’s talk they are developing a new V8 Hemi that will run on multiple fuels. The only ones I see keeping a cool head are the folks like Toyota who are making a lot of hybrids.

The market will decide what it wants. People tend to rebel against Govt mandates, so if EV’s are ever mandated, instead of buying, people will hold on and seek out used gas vehicles.

Let these folks buying now be the Guinea pigs. Let them get the bugs worked out of the vehicles and the charging grid. When I can recharge 100% in 10 minutes like I can refill my gas tank, then we’ll talk…

I don't care what they call either the car or the SUV, I'm not the target market for either one.

As a marketing ploy to the general public, it's a smart play by Ford. Marketing is largely about evoking certain feelings in the consumer. Using Mustang styling cues and name to sell an electric appliance of an SUV to the general public evokes feelings and pulls from a place of nostalgia in the buyer.

As far as electric vehicles, the Canadian government has now jumped on board that all new light duty vehicles sold by 2035 need to be electric. I'll believe that when I see it.

My Wife drives an 02 GT and never fails to say "that is not a Mustang" any time we see the E. I never have understood why car companies reuse names of cars and trucks when building something no where near the original. Maverick is the one that I don't get. It was a car in the 70s but now a truck? There are a lot of words in the dictionary you can use. Jim

Mostly the car companies have to meet the government regulations if they want to stay in business.

Then when the Government wants to hand them a pile of money to build the EVs no one wants, the car companies are taking the handouts and complying with the government regulations at the same time. Only the tax payers are the looser, and we can see how much the government is concerned about that.

Ford was the smart ones, they set up the EV as a separate division so if it didn't work out they could shut down just part of the company. GM and most of the others just lumped the EV into the main company.

If they ever could solve the battery & charging problems, the car my wife drives could probably be an EV, but I'm not expecting those problems to be solved during our driving life time. I'm not anticipating buying a new vehicle in my remaining lifetime. That 2035 year was someone's pipe dream from the start.

My Wife drives an 02 GT and never fails to say "that is not a Mustang" any time we see the E. I never have understood why car companies reuse names of cars and trucks when building something no where near the original. Maverick is the one that I don't get. It was a car in the 70s but now a truck? There are a lot of words in the dictionary you can use. Jim

The particular word that applies is Nostalgia.

Since there will be no "new" cars in the ol Tripper's future it makes no diff to me but I told Mrs Tripper that hybrids are the only thing that make sense since charging infrastructure is a LONG way off & the limited range for true EV's sucks! A rowdy rumblin' gas powered American V8 is really all I'm interested in! [ddd

BoB

This car has been out for a while now and they are definitely not a mustang. I think everyone agrees with that

Granted I don’t get out and about as much as I did before I retired, but even before then, I’ve only seen one of the MachE’s on the road, one F150 Lightning, and a handful of Tesla’s. And the few Tesla’s I saw were up around Nashville TN, I figure they were being bought as a status symbol by a bunch of wannabes trying to get into the music business. Now there probably are a lot more in other geographic areas like CA or NY where there might be infrastructure to support them, but in “ fly over” country like around here it's doubtful there will ever be many of them, the schematics just don’t work. I don’t know of any public charging stations within 125 miles of me, and there are few houses that have sufficient electrical service to wire in a charger without spending a fortune, not to mention all the mobile homes that will never have that capability. Most people around here drive 50-75 miles to work, one way, so they’d have to recharge every day. Might not be buying gas, but can you imagine the higher electric bills? Me neither!

EV’s are the answer to a problem that never was. They only create more problems than they supposedly solve.

Latest posts

Back