This is what happens when you leave work early!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

i finished up all my work for the day early, so i left the shop at 2. Grabbed my nephew and we went looking for this old sedan i thought i saw sittin behind a farm over the winter. 45minute drive one way. Well i cant find it again! Waste of a trip right? Nope.

After we gave up searchin for this imaginary sedan we kept looking for old tin. And off in the distance i see these to coupes, as i get closer i found out that there old stock cars. I pulled into the driveway, walk up to the house, and before i even get to the house a man walks out. I didnt even have time to say hello before he says "come on in". Then i told him that i was just driving around looking for old model As.

Next thing ya know hes tellin me stories about how he raced back in the 60', then asks if i want to see his cars. Here are some pics i took. The white one stuffed infront of the Red Black and White one was his first hot rod he built in '58. This guy has built flatheads all over the place, Most every one of his cars has a halibrand quick change rearend. I seen a few with the WIDE five wheels.

Dont forget to look in the rafters. Im jelous, he said he paid $500 for the 5-windows. The yellow car is an all steel '34 3-window

Attachments

• 100_0976.jpg
    100_0976.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0977.jpg
    100_0977.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0978.jpg
    100_0978.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_0979.jpg
    100_0979.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_0980.jpg
    100_0980.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 178
Cool!

Looks like the old rodder was having himself some real fun back in the day. Great stuff and I better start leaving work early more often! :eek:

Beercan

that poor old man, having to store all of that rusty old tin!:D ya' know he could get hurt with all those car bodies hanging overhead! hillbilly, i can't imagine you not being any better of a "neighbor" than to try and help him with taking care of some of that!!!:p:D

seriously though, that guy is holding some amazing stuff, and thanks for sharing those pics!

Thats an awesome story and an equally incredible collection of old racers! It's really something how things can come together like that when you least expect it. It's cool too that you got to meet the man and his cars.

Thanks for the pictures!

T1

truth be told, i was so damn lost in the back woods it wasnt even funny. I was goin down this dirt road and actually drove by his house on accident and had to drive a 1/4mile just to find enough room to turn my truck around. There was this sign on the side of the road that said "animal crossing" and sure enough right after it there were 2 goats in the road and some chickens. I had that little voice in my head saying "you shouldnt be here" It wasnt untill i came back out that i seen through the open door of his barn. Then i HAD to stop in.

The one picture is of a Model A tractor conversion. Supposedly these were kits you could buy. It started out as a stock model A, then they removed the rear of the body, installed a spot for a tractor seat, and flipped the banjo housing upside down then installed a pinion setup on the outside of the hub. Inside the rear wheel is a ring gear. The rims have a 1/2" thick strap of rubber wrapped around them with what looks to be a highway tread pattern.

The "lady bug" has Edlebrock heads on it

You didn't by chance get the dudes name did you ? Had a guy on the Island named Red Raynor, that used to run a 33 or a 333 with the same paint scheme.

He (Bill Wimble) speaks of his best car being built/owned by McCredy Motors in Sherburn NY. You can see that written on the side of the car in the picture you posted Hillbilly.

Wow, cool beeans dude. I love running into the old rodders. I visited an 80 year old guy a couple years ago who had a but load of old race stuff and a dragster with a B model bager with Joe Gemsa overhead valve conversion and a ton of other cool goodies, plus a whole spare engine.

I like the ladybug, harkens of a much more innocent time before skulls, death, Satan and Nazis had to be depicted somewhere.

Latest posts

Back