Thoughts on 3 Wheelers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
A couple weeks ago one of my buddies ran into a cash crunch and put everything for sale. Not sure why I wanted it, but I put an offer out there on his 250SX trike sitting in the barn. For those that are unfamiliar the 250SX was one of the first to have suspension, mono shock rear and sprung forks. Hadn't ran basically for 2 years. I thought the offer was a real low ball offer, but his cash crisis must have been worse than I thought. Hit bit right away, I through it in the back of the truck and took off. I took the carb off and cleaned it out, put on a new plastic gas tank and low and behold it fired right up, off the kick start even. It has electric start, but no battery or nothing yet. I took it up and down the street a few times and it ran great!! I through it back in the truck took it to a friends house that has some property and proceeded to beat the snot out of it and it took every bit of it!! I had a blast with it!! Granted it is old, but I couldn't believe the power it has, I carried a second gear wheely for a good 20-30 yards!! Immediately my buddies want to buy it, but I am not sure I want to sell it! I know they are unstable at best, but it is still a blast if you use some caution.

Has anyone else had one? Have one? What are your thoughts on them??

Here is a pic of the trusty steed!

2012-12-17_17-53-10_717.jpg

She still needs a little more TLC to be back to 100% but so far with my investment I am pretty pleased!!

You can kill yourself on a unicycle if you try hard enough.

I've had dirt toys on two, three, and four wheels... crashed them all at least once. In my opinion, they're all dangerous in their individual ways. Push any machine past its limitations (or yours) and you're gonna eat soil.

You can't put a price on semi-dangerous fun. I'd ride the wheels off that trike.

Most insurance companies won't even insure them....

consider them too dangerous....or so says the insurance lady....my wife....lol
Says that is why they quit making them.....too many deaths at they are not stable....as for me...3 wheels seems a bit more stable than 2.....JMHO>>>

Broken a few bones and fallen off more three wheelers then two or four.
They give you a 'safe' feeling over a bike but tip and fall over way too easy.
But !!!!!!!!!!!! they are so much frickin fun.:D

If we never did anything dangerous that would be one boring life, wouldn't it?

Keep it and use it as a quick cash option down the road.

200x.jpg

I love them, dont get out of hand on it and youll be fine. Yes they will turn over easier than a quad. I have both. Take ditches straight on and not at an angle. That 250SX is a fun one to ride, that front wheel dont spend much time on the ground thats for sure. Have fun and be careful.

Had a buddy in the mid '80s that rode a 250R. He could keep up with us on dirtbikes.Its a miracle were all still alive.

Lots of fun right there!! I had a 250R years ago, it was one bad machine for it size.. no speedo on the R version, but my buddy followed me to 90mph on it in my truck..I found a good "ramp" at a gravel pit and jumped over my truck with it:D:D what can I say, young and dumb..might have even been beer involved..

the only time I ever flipped mine was over backwards doing a 3rd gear wheelie across the yard..nothing hurt but my pride:D

My inlaws have one, they bought it new. They use it around here, in the fields, but mostly they use it to tow the race car at the drag strip.

They don't make those anymore for a reason. Too easy to run over your own leg.

that is EXACTLYwhat happened to me.
and all this time i thought i was the only one.
i was just light enough to float on water on mine.
and if i gunned it could slowly cruise across small ponds
the balance doing this was precarious at best however.;)

They are a ton of fun.
If you know you're not gonna keep it then, I agree the best time to sell is when, someone wants it more than you.

Those old Hondas are great, pretty low maintenance and run forever. Will it hurt you? Probably. Will it really hurt one of your beer drinking buddys? Pretty much guaranteed.
But. I rode them for a few years before I went to 4 wheels and never had a dump. And you only run over your feet a couple times before you learn to keep them on the pegs.

I know what you are saying, and I may pass it along. I at least would like to first finish fixing it up get it all back to working order. I only have a few more things to fix. Then I will make my decision on if it will stay or go. But for right now it is a lot of fun!!!

In the early 80's a local U-Haul would rent you a three wheeler for 24 hours so you could kill yourself on someone else's machine. We would ride some property that is on the back side of Stone Mountain and had a blast.

Latest posts

Back