Thrill Show

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard of Chief Clays Helldrivers? It was my dads outfit around 1950 or so. He closed the show before I was born and I am looking for info. Looking for photos or articles. Thanx for any help.

Probably not the same, but close.

{Bob Clay's Death Driver thrill show was a hit at every venue in which it performed. They travelled from town to town, putting on shows in local parks, high school stadiums, and state fairs.
Bob found that the 1936 Oldsmobile was particularly suited for use in their stunts, and always contacted the local Olds dealer when arriving in a new town. The dealers would provide cars in exchange for the demonstrations of how safe their cars were during the shows. Some dealers were even brave enough to take up Bob's offer to ride with him off one of the smaller jumps.
Early in 1942, Bob patented his idea for a seatbelt for cars,and being a patriotic American, he then offered his invention to the US government to help with the war effort. He received a letter back saying "Mr. Clay, thank you but the United States government has determined that it is dangerous for people to be strapped into cars." }

I think the man you need to talk to is Chad Van Dyke. He operates a thrill show museum/collectables store here in La Porte City.http://thrillsamerica.com/
The walls of his place are lined with pictures, posters and programs of all the old thrill shows. If you can stand to see all kinds of old cars, from the 30's on up, intentionally wrecked for entertainment, this place is worth a visit.

Blue

Latest posts

Back