Thunderbird/ Cougar IRS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motrhd

Alright, I have been trying to learn about the Ford independent rear ends as used in Thunderbirds and Cougars in the 90's. The rat roadster pick up project that I purchased came with a '94 Cougar rear end. The man that I bought it from was pretty knowlegeable and told me that it is a 7.5 center section. So what I'm trying to find out is, can I swap in an 8.8 center section or will the 7.5 with a posi 3.73 gear hold up to 400-500 HP ? If the 7.5 is OK then are all 7.5 center sections the same, for parts purposes ?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Was watching a program...can't remember which one

Alright, I have been trying to learn about the Ford independent rear ends as used in Thunderbirds and Cougars in the 90's. The rat roadster pick up project that I purchased came with a '94 Cougar rear end. The man that I bought it from was pretty knowlegeable and told me that it is a 7.5 center section. So what I'm trying to find out is, can I swap in an 8.8 center section or will the 7.5 with a posi 3.73 gear hold up to 400-500 HP ? If the 7.5 is OK then are all 7.5 center sections the same, for parts purposes ?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, Thanks

they swaped a Mazda Miata to a 400 horse ford motor and independant rear...believe it was a 7.5....they did swap out the cv joints / axles with others that were heavy duty....apparently they were not afraid so much of the 7.5 as they were with the axles shafts and cv joints being able to handle it....think it was a Gearz program.... so if that helps....???=[S

Thanks Sarge and Doc, I checked the link and it led me to Monster Miata for axles and such.
Chandler you got my attention, where are you located ? send me a pm here if you're serious, we can work out a swap or sale.

Thanks everybody for the quick input !

im in kokomo. i dont need it or the money. if you want to swap parts ill put the whole thing out. im building a truck from just a roller so literally anything besides an engine/trans and rear axle. but i was going to give it if you wanted it so no pressure.

Chandler consider that rear end gone, I'll take it. Tell me more about your build, in case I have anything for you. With Holidays and work and all, I might be able to make it down in early to mid December.

Just a thought here, Ford put some 8.8 IRS in mustang cobras for a year or two
I wanna say 98 but not sure what year. Ford had a problem with them staying together and or not leaking. Of course this could have been do to people abusing the crap out of them in the higher hp cobras. I do know cost had a factor in the demise of the IRS 8.8 in the cobras too.

Personally I've always wanted to use one in a project myself and I owned a t-bird with the IRS and put 230k miles with out any real problems.

Chandler, I checked out your build, way cool, I was into trucks for a very long time.......even had one featured in Truckin magazine back in '97. I just sold a '57 Ranchero pro streeter to go the rat rod way, I'm tired of polishing and waxing and all that..........LOL.
I don't know that I have anything that you could use, but let me know on that rear end, I want it even for the $50 you mentioned in your thread.

Anarchy, the Cougar 8.8 should be a direct swap for the 7.5 that's in mine now. My truck came with the 7.5 when I bought it, the 8.8 should hold up to my mild 351W, just a thumpin cam and four barrel, the truck is light so that should be plenty.

Chandler, I checked out your build, way cool, I was into trucks for a very long time.......even had one featured in Truckin magazine back in '97. I just sold a '57 Ranchero pro streeter to go the rat rod way, I'm tired of polishing and waxing and all that..........LOL.
I don't know that I have anything that you could use, but let me know on that rear end, I want it even for the $50 you mentioned in your thread.

i dont need your money. itll cost that much in gas to get here. mines not gonna be shiney and i dont wax. but im not into rust it made it 59 years to get to me and i want it to last that much more. ill get it out his weekend. since you have the mounts im just going to cut off the rusy subframe with a sawzall and drop the whole thing out. should take 5 minutes lol.

Latest posts

Back