Tire n rear end question??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hello.

Wat kinda rear end n tires is used on those extremely tall rear tire setups? Looks like front semi tires or something like there 2-2.5 ft hi??? Were does these setups come from? Tnx, RR

I know the guy used a rear end out of some 70's RV, he re drilled the rims to match the pattern..

Looks like a big, honkin' Dana rear axle, maybe a Dana 60?

Tires and rims are 22.5 maybe 11R22.5 tires, standard 10 stud pattern on the rear wheels, anyway-just like the big boys.

I throw those tire/wheel combos around every day at work and they are heavy.:eek: Guess my question is "WHY?" SOOOO much unsprung weight there, absolutely no way a small block anything will be able to spin those up terribly fast.

The whole truck's ugly in my opinion, anyway. Looks a little under-engineered, too-I mean look, big, heavy axle assemblies with airbags at both ends attached to big heavy kickups at both ends...and two toothpicks for framerails under the cab. He's gonna bend it in two the first time he stands on it with all that weight on either end, trying to spin those big, heavy rear tires. The rad's gonna look good throwing sparks when he airs out those rear bags, too.

I'm no rod-builder, but I give this one a big :rolleyes:

Oh well, build what you want and keep :) , I guess...

Regards,
Shea:)

If you're talking about the thin ones you see on a lot of A's there spacesaver spare tires. Some suv's run 22" spares, like Chryslers and some Fords.

Can you give me a link to info or pics of em? Tnx, RR

p.s. Dont see how it would b different running a 22 inch tall as compared to my old prostreet 21.5 inch mt tires????

Can you give me a link to info or pics of em? Tnx, RR

p.s. Dont see how it would b different running a 22 inch tall as compared to my old prostreet 21.5 inch mt tires????

Well, the wheel rim on a heavy truck is deisigned for a 22.5" tire...what this means is that the inner diameter on the tire (where the rim goes) is 22.5" across. Ocverall tire/wheel height is "about" three feet or maybe more. I'll measure when I go back after lunch break.

Dude, seriously, those things are HEAVY!!! Just guesstimating, I'd say a steel wheel rim like you linked to is 50 plus pounds, the tire casing weighs more. I don't want to bust your bubble, but unless you're building a trailer queen, or want to hotrod an actual 2-5ton truck with ALL the heavy duty hardware, what's the point?:confused:

Regards,

U mean the overall heighth is 22.5 or the rims are 22.5? The rears look lkike there 3 feet high to me. RR

The tires that he has on the rear of that truck are 22.5 inch rims, they are probably close to 40" tall

I have some 20" rims for 8.5 wide tires (40inch tall) that came on the rear of my truck, they are ridiculously heavy the rims are 65 pounds each and the tires are about 90-100 pounds each i would have been running 4 of them which would have been stupid heavy...

They are stacked in the corner of my shop and will not be going on my truck, it is just way to much weight, i sought out original rims from the 30's they are much much lighter, rim is 25 pounds, tire is maybe 35-40 pounds.... but these are 2 piece rims. But they are for much narrower tires, but this is the look i wanted to begin with

Yea Id say there heavy, but man they look cool. :D If you look at that vid he seems to have some quick take off power. He said he has a dana 70 with adaptors a shop made him. Im chkin into it. I'll let ya know. RR

You thinkin of sellin those tires n rims???

Sorry, I forgot to measure yesterday.

11R22.5 tire:

41 1/2" tall
10" section width (the "fattest" part of the tire) when mounted.

8-lug to "big rig" 10-lug adapters are commercially available. Alot of the "blinger" GM guys and other locals with too much money are usin' 'em to put Alcoas and Accurides on their Chev/Ford/Dodge dually one tons, along with low profile tires...:confused:About as useful as 24" wire wheels on a "Hummer.":rolleyes:

Regards,

Might be.... i have a matched pair.. the other two are different

However you might be better off running the rims that shea is talking about.. because like he said they make adapters for those, mine are small 10 lug which you wont find off the shelf adapters for.. and the modern ones are 1 piece rims

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back