TiredIronGRB's 1948 Buick

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to an unbelievable junkyard today, they had over 1,000 40s, 50s and 60s cars and 5 warehouses full of classic cars and more rare parts than you can imagine...and everything is for sale.

I picked up a bunch of parts for the Buick, got a nice bumper from a '49 Chevrolet that fits like it was made for it.

48_Buick_031.jpg

48_Buick_032.jpg

48_Buick_033.jpg

Found a nice visor, I got it home and held it up on the car and noticed that the holes were already drilled...at one time it had the same type visor on it.

48_Buick_036.jpg

Some of the brackets were missing so I made some from stainless tubing.

48_Buick_035.jpg

Found a nice original antenna.

48_Buick_037.jpg

48_Buick_034.jpg

It's been a while since I updated this build but I've been crazy busy working on it...alot of the work was only mocked up so I've been busy going over everything. All new brakes, new ball joints, replaced all the air lines and completely re-worked the air-ride and fuel systems.

There were two different builders working on this before I got it, the first did a very good job on the frame graffing and rear suspension but the second one just did the basics to get it moving under it's own power.

The inner fenders were roughed in but far from fitted and mounted securely. Check out that alternator mount...

48_Buick_045.jpg

I fitted the inner fenders and made some braces out of 3/4 square tubing.

48_Buick_050.jpg

48_Buick_051.jpg

The hoods on these old Buicks open from either side so the hood prop swings side to side, I made some new catches for the prop as the old ones left with the firewall.

48_Buick_056.jpg

48_Buick_057.jpg

48_Buick_058.jpg

Picked up the other headlight ring and the hood badge.

48_Buick_064.jpg

I made a new toe panel and bottom column mount, fixed the hole they cut for the shifter they had rigged up and replaced the screwed down piece of sheet metal over the master cylinder with a hinged access door.

48_Buick_087.jpg

48_Buick_088.jpg

48_Buick_089.jpg

Since the original tail lights were filled I used a set of '39 Plymouth lights.

48_Buick_090.jpg

Removed all the dash and window garnishes, I'm planning to paint them in Avion white metalflake. Also installed a Lokar 23" shifter.

48_Buick_091.jpg

48_Buick_093.jpg

Nice 45 fin drums...

48_Buick_092.jpg

After fixing the inner fenders I blasted and painted them and the firewall.

48_Buick_097.jpg

48_Buick_098.jpg

48_Buick_100.jpg

Replaced the alternator and bracket.

48_Buick_101.jpg

Picked up a new set of Coker L78-15 4" wide whites.

48_Buick_103.jpg

Next I plan to get it outside and start cleaning and painting the interior.

48_Buick_104.jpg

Never thought as a kid with my 51...

that I'd be thinking how cool it really was...:(...but watching this take shape is flat cool....[cl

Latest posts

Back