Title Question (iowa)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOWNLOW

Anyone here from Iowa have any problems getting their rat titled? I see all kinds of rules that we are supposed to follow (fenders, windshield height, seat belts ect...) But I have seen rods around the state and at local shows without fenders, seat belts and have windsheilds less than 6" in height.

How do you guys get away with it?:confused: I am thinking about a rat rod/traditional build, but I'm not sure if I want to go to all the trouble if I can't have it look the way I want, and I don't need the cops following me all over town every time I pull out of my driveway.

The section I was looking at was for (specially constructed/reconstructed equipment requirements).

check out the links below and see what you think.
Any help would be appriciated.

www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/omve/iarule450.pdf
www.crankshaftcoalition.com

I think that most people you see either bought a car that was already titled or had a title issued as year of manufacture. I have heard that a titled car is worth $10K more than untitled. If you buy a project, makes sure it has a title, even if its a body only.

In California, they are only allowing 500 cars a year to be titled as year of manufacture. Otherwise, you have to go with special construction where all the above rules apply, including smog checks.

title

What if I found an old body and the title is lost or distroyed how do I get a "title issued as year of manufacture"?

I can't address Iowa per se, but the rules are pretty much the same everywhere. The only LEGITIMATE way to title any car, be it 1 year old or 100 years old is to have a clear title to that particular vehicle in hand when you go to the DMV to get it titled and licensed into your name.

Now, the flip side: There are many hot rods and antiques running around in this country with titles that have been secured by other means. These include going to one of the speciality title companies that are experts in securing you a valid title, titling your car as a remanufactured or built from parts car, or using the title from a similar make and model.

I have never used one of the title companies. There are always guys at shows and swapmeets who are selling clean titles to various cars. The prices range from maybe $ 100 to $ 1000 or more, depending on the popularity of that car. You can take that title to the DMV and claim it is for the car sitting in your driveway. Is this an absolutely legal and correct way to do it.....NO. However, we rodders sort of wink at this practice because we know we did not steal the car and also that we spent the last umteen years and dollars making it into a running, driving rod.

Some States will accept these titles Carte Blanc, and ask no questions. Other States want an official to look at the title and the number plate on the car and verify it is the same. It is getting tougher everywhere to get a title and to stay out of trouble. If you look at some of the cases that have happened in places like California, you will see that if they want to pursue it, they can nail you to the cross.

Obviously, it is best to get a good title when you buy a particular car, but if that isn't possible, make sure the car really belongs to the guy you are handing your money over to. We have posted stories on here of where a guy spent tons of money on a car fixing it up, only to have the cops and rightful owner show up at his door later on claiming auto theft. In several of the cases the new owner watched his pride and joy being hauled off on a flatbed and could do nothing about it.

Don

What if I found an old body and the title is lost or distroyed how do I get a "title issued as year of manufacture"?
In California, after the car is built or a least a roller, it is inspected by the Highway Patrol, who issues a new vin number. Then the first part of the year, go to DMV and apply for a year of manufaturer title (Y.O.M.). If you're one of the lucky first 500, you get the title.

If your car has a clean vin then go through Broadway title. I used them on my 64 with no problems. It cost $150 and took a couple of months but no problems at all!!!!

As far as equiptment violations in every State > i really do believe the POLICE have their hands full these days with gang bangers..with all the violence nowadays i think they pretty much look the other way unless u really draw attention to yourself by doing some outrageous driving and peeling out...

Latest posts

Back