To mud or not to mud??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
I got my cab chopped. Tried to follow DMW56's directions but I'm not as skilled as you other guys so I may try to cover some of my work with bondo.
51cabchop004.jpg

You can see in this picture that the roof caved in alittle so I'm gonna fill the the roof but I'm thinkin I'll leave the rest of the welds unfilled? What do you guys think?
51cabchop005.jpg

I like the small back window but had to cut the upper section loose to get the opening to match up.
51cabchop003.jpg

one moore
51cabchop006.jpg

Once bondo is involved, I think its an all or nothing kinda thing. Either leave it natural .....or finish it out and paint it.

Looks good!

Fuzz,
I think it looks good like it is. If u keep it like that... what r u gonna do paint wise? I mudded my '41 Ford PU in but I'm gonna leave all welds exposed on my new '46 Dodge project.

BoB

Thanks guys...
Bob..I'm going to paint it "Allis Chalmers Orange", I like orange [see avatar]. But still undecided about the full mud treatment. Need more opinions!!:D

Thanks guys...
Bob..I'm going to paint it "Allis Chalmers Orange", I like orange [see avatar]. But still undecided about the full mud treatment. Need more opinions!!:D

If u r gonna paint it... I'd mud it in. That's what I did on my other truck but I'm keeping it in two-tone primer. On my rpu I'm gonna leave it raw & unpainted. Just my .02.

BoB

Thanks guys...

Original paint, however complete or incomplete that may be, looks best.

If you are going to paint it, do good bodywork and paint it.

If you are just going to half-assit, leave it raw. ...painted crap looks worse than everything else to me.

If you just mud the very top, where its caved in, then wouldnt the mud crack once the body started flexing on the road from the dips and grooves and speed bumps and just normal road bumps?

Id leave it raw if it was mine, or just paint it a flat color and not worry about bondo. but thats just me.

If you just mud the very top, where its caved in, then wouldnt the mud crack once the body started flexing on the road from the dips and grooves and speed bumps and just normal road bumps?

Not in my lifetime....LOL...I'm 67 years old!!:D

Well Fuzz you gotta ask yourself. Do you like and understand the appeal
of ratrods or do you prefer pretty and shiny street rods. If you are unsure
then that is reason enough to build two cars :)

Uh oh....now you've done it!! Got me to thinkin about building another car.:D
But will this 51 Ford cab be the shiny one or the ratty one?? Hmmmm...
Too late, I already spread the mud on this one!!

Leading? or Leding??

Rta Coon..I watched body men leading cars years ago and tried it myself but could not get the knack. Don't have the patience I guess. But don't let me stop you form trying it. It takes practice and is an art form in my opinion.

Gastrick..thanks for the kind words. Here's the cab today. It was an old farm truck and is pretty beat, looks better in pictures than real world. I mudded it and am happy with it so far. Changed my mind and think I'll just do flat black and leave at that.:eek:
51cab001.jpg

51cab002.jpg

Latest posts

Back