to nailhead or not nailhead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustywrench

that is the question. some of you might remember i'm doing a 37 packard hot rod. it currently is set up for a big block olds engine. last week i got a good running 364 nailhead engine. just wondering if i should keep the olds or go with the nailhead. ps the project is coming along nicely. it now has new floor framing, seats, brake pedal and master cylinder, and the steering is done. i'll post a few pics when i get some.
packardnow8-copy.jpg

My buddy runs a nail head,for looks you can't beat them and there are some nice performance parts out there too. Do some homework first-GL with the build.

My buddy just sold the complete package,he was moving and had no where to put it. He sold it for like $300 it came from a 55 buick. He sold it to a used parts guy,so if you want me to get his number I might be able to. We're in the Cleveland area,let me know.

Yeah, that is the price of admission to play with one of these old nostalgia engines, especially if you want to run a modern tranny behind one. I've got the same dilema. I have a '64 Olds 394 in my truck and if I want to run a 350 0r 400 turbo it's $ 1000 for the adapter. To run a stick it's $1500. On top of that you still have to buy the tranny and shifter. :eek:

I love nailheads, they are not only a pretty engine when done up, but they are very nostalgic. Sweet sounding and good running too. However, the other downside is the cost to rebuild or build one. You are going to pay a lot more for parts than most other engines.............same with my Olds. I have $ 3000 in just a mild rebuild.

What is the old saying? "Speed costs money............how fast do YOU want to go?" We who build these old engines should modify that to " Cool costs money, how cool do you want to be?" :D:D

Your Packard is looking great BTW.

Don

What Olds? Olds are awesome torque monsters but don't ever rev the later ones (post 64-65) past 5 grand or you may have problems. I would not pull a 326 or 371 to put in a nailhead. Stickshift stuff can be found without the big$$ and if you want an slushbox then stay with the Hydromatic, it is an awesome tranny.
Nailheads are cool but the main problem I see with one is the rocker arms. Look at how they are made and you will see that they loose ratio real quick as the valve gets open,

I'm building two 364 Nailheads right now.................Prices are high but , if you spend sometime looking you might just find some good deals. The tranny is very important.........don't even think about using the early Dynaflo. I picked up a ST400 trans, it's pretty much the same as a chevy TH400 except it bolts to the 364. Paid $75......found it in CL. Even better is the SP400(swich pitch converter)...........Stock 364'S with a four barrel is 300HP. Go for the Nail especially if it's a runner.

turns out there was already a 400 trans to fit this motor in my shop. ben, 440shorty, has one. pretty sure its the switch pitch model, but ben can chime in and tell for sure. he told me theres only a few modifications needed to make it work.

Nailhead

I would look for a S/P 400 Trans......You can find them for a decent price plus the fact that you have a trans that will stand up to just about any amount of Horsepower that you throw at it. I know that they can handle up to 500 H.P. with out any problem. You can wire up the Switch Pitch so you have MAX TORQUE coming out of the hole! Look for a 64 to 66 S/P 400 and I think you would be real happy with it.
PLUS They look PurrrTee!!!!

Ck this sweet Nail out!!!

Ck this beautiful example out. A little over the top for my taste but still beautiful!!!

BoB

Attachments

• Myersbuickweb.jpg
    Myersbuickweb.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 24
St 400

I did some research and found out the following:

(1) Indeed, the Super Turbine 400 that replaced the Dynaflow for 1964 will bolt to the earlier nailheads ('57-64 364/401/425) but not the early 264/322.

(2) However, the crankshaft was changed to accommodate the ST 400, as was the flexplate; but all is not lost! There are a couple of people/companies selling a bushing to adapt the crank pilot to fit the "normal" torque converter of the ST400 (switch pitch or not) and it is possible to modify the 64-66 flexplate to fit the larger crank register of the 57-63 crankshaft. Oh, and some say you can change crankshafts, but they forget that the 364 has a shorter stroke than the 401/425, but the 364 was not offered after 1961.

(3) A small modification is also necessary, apparently, to limit the stroke of the starter bendix so that it does not get stuck behind the flywheel.

(4) General Motors continued to manufacture and sell [as a "universal transmission"] the nailhead bolt pattern Turbo 400 after 1966! Turns out that the nailhead transmission has a shallow bellhousing that leaves room for adapter plates. And which vehicles would have these? You guessed it -- JEEP! all the way through 1973 according to some sources. So these nailhead turbo 400s are not quite as rare as some would think.

As for the transmission I have, and Pete's engine - we would need a nailhead flexplate and a conversion bushing. One company sells both as a package for $295 - seems pricey considering flexplates are generally under $50 for popular engines, and another company lists a bushing for $50. I will do some more searching for sources for stock replacement flexplates.

440shorty

BTW - I can rebuild the Dynaflow, but converting it to an open driveshaft would be another matter...

Latest posts

Back