to paint or not to paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam f

My frame is covered in rust and the body has a beautiful patina. I want to keep it the way it is, but I don't want the rust to go any further.

Is there some sort of topcoat I can put on the frame and body to keep the finish but stop further rust? Motor oil?

Or should I just sand ikt all down and paint it with rustoleum?

I've heard of people using Gibb's Penetrating Oil, but haven't tried it myself. I think you have to mail order it. I have used a similar product by Justice Brothers. It darkens the rust a bit and recoating occasionally is a good idea. Comes in spray cans.

I would just wash t good with dish soap to get any oil or grease off it then when it dries spray everything with a few coats of matte or flat clear coat

I had an extremely rusty frame I switched with my 37. Used pot 15 on it 20 years ago, still looks great!

por 15 does make a clear for bare metal that can be brushed or sprayed. It doesn't need to be topcoated. I have used it on a few sculptures I have done and it works well, as far as giong over rust I don't know if it will kill rust but I took the leftovers I had and brushed it on a 31 coupe body I have and it seems to have sealed it and kept the cool patina coloring but gave it a gloss finish.

Latest posts

Back