Tool List help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. Im going to pick up a 305 and a TH350 out of a 1973 station wagon this weekend and i want to pack light. So i was wondering what tools i might need to get it out of there. Im taking a jack and two jack stands as well as a few chains (we have a tractor to lift it) I was wondering what tools i would need. I dont want to carry my whole tool box. Sorry for the newb question guys :eek:

I would take 3/8 to 11/16 combo wrenches, a set of 3/8 sockets, a good pry bar, wire cutters, hack saw, a phillips and flat screwdriver, hammer, a 3' by 4' piece of plywood for a creeper, and some help that likes to get under cars.

Vise grips! A couple stubby screwdrivers too. A big flat head for a prybar. Breaker bar. Needle nose pliers. A couple extensions for the sockets.

Me I would bring a cordless sawzall, cordless impact, 3/8" - 15/16" wrenches (Doubles on 1/2" - 5/8"), 1/2" sockets (deep and short) and 3/8 sockets (deep and short with extentions and ratchets) jack and stands, screw drivers, pliers, penetrating oil, dykes, and a good bucket for the bolts. No matter what you bring you will always forget something. Good luck![P

knife

knife for cutting those hard to get at things, a good can of wasp/hornet killer and fire extinguisher. some big washers just in case the chain links are to big and the bolts try and slip thru, some junk screw drivers for pounding out bolts and then stick them thru the chain on each side of the hook when lifting the motor so it don't slip down the chain if you don't have a lift plate or those fancy style lift 2 or 4 piece designed chains. this method works well or use a clevis.

plywood or something to lie on.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• 1).jpg
    1).jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 21).jpg
    21).jpg
    6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yep, it is amazing how we will drag out every tool in our box to do the most simple jobs. It always takes more tools than you think. While a 3/8 drive set would probably work I would take a 1/2 inch set instead, or also. Sometimes you need torque to remove a frozen bolt and a half inch breaker bar will give you that torque.

Also take a pipe to slip over the breaker bar for more leverage, and a selection of different extensions to reach hard to reach bolts. Combination wrench sets, some pliers, a pair of vice grips, a chisel, a BFH :)D), side cut pliers, and a few phillips and standard screwdrivers. A crescent wrench can come in handy sometimes, and even a small pipe wrench can get you out of a jam. Carry a can of PB Blaster too for those frozen exhaust studs and other rusted bolts.

When I go to the junkyard I am prepared for any eventuality and usually have my trusty wagon loaded to the gills.

Don

One of my junk yard scrounge tools was pruning shears. They make short work of belts and hoses.

I have one of those handyman tool bags for tools and bolts. Put a hook so you can hang it.

Gold03

Pretty much all the above plus a pair of safety glasses to keep the rust and debris out of your eyes when under the vehicle.
You didn't say what vehicle and year. Newer vehicles require metric wrenches and sockets.

uh... 305/350, 73 station wagon.

I like the garden shears also. Tin snips get thrown in too when I go to the junk yard.

stuff

may sound weird....earplugs:)

l have had crap fall in my ears and can't get it out from old vehicles sitting and having stuff falling out., well you name it's fallen or dripped on me when in/under them. l've pulled the parts or worked on them in some interesting places.

Later :cool:

bandaids,rags, duct tape, gloves, hand cleaner. also throw a couple of old tires under engine and trans while transporting.maybe a couple of tie down straps for the ride home

I think i got it

Thanks everyone for all your help i think i have what i need...so many Ideas about what to build going through my head...depends on what poor subject i can find [;)

Whatever you decide to take......

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. Im going to pick up a 305 and a TH350 out of a 1973 station wagon this weekend and i want to pack light. So i was wondering what tools i might need to get it out of there. Im taking a jack and two jack stands as well as a few chains (we have a tractor to lift it) I was wondering what tools i would need. I dont want to carry my whole tool box. Sorry for the newb question guys :eek:

You will find that you've left something out of the equasion that you should have brought.....never fails.....Murphy's law.....but most of the stuff has been covered..... good luck...:D

You will find that you've left something out of the equasion that you should have brought.....never fails.....Murphy's law.....but most of the stuff has been covered..... good luck...:D

I dont know if its because these dang allergies are messing with my head but what am i missing?

Maybe I should have worded that better....

I dont know if its because these dang allergies are messing with my head but what am i missing?

No matter what you bring.....you'll find you didn't bring something you'll need to do the job....never fails..... :D

Latest posts

Back