Top end noise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barberochris

I was working on my truck yesterday with a friend trying to get some things done. We did succeed in getting the lights and wipers to work properly which led to a little celebration cruise on the back roads by his house. On our way back I laid into it pretty good in 2nd gear and was pretty high in the RPMs. As we pulled into the driveway we heard a steady tick or knock. I opened the hood and it seems to be coming from only from the top end of the #1 cylinder. My friend was quick to say it was the lifter(s), which sounds like it could be right. I checked the oil and found that was pretty low and changed oil/filter since it needed to be done ayways. After starting it up with full fresh oil the noise was still there but not as loud. Do you guys agree that it is most likely the lifter(s) causing the noise?

It could be the lifter.But it could also be a bent pushrod.Is it running on all cylinders or is it skippin at all?Pull the cover and check the pushrod.

You can also isolate the problem,Pull all the wires off the plugs.Just put them on enough to run the motor.Start it up and pull them off one at a time and putting them back untill the noise stops.When the noise stops then you know what cylinder it is.

If it is a lifter and not a pushrod, would I absolutely need to replace the lifter or is there anything I can do to "fix" it? I would think that they would be hydrualic lifters due to the fact that the noise quieted down after the oil was full.

Latest posts

Back