Tough thing to do today.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Well, I have to tell the guy I work that I'm giving him two weeks notice. I have worked for him for two years, and we have become good friends , with me also knowing where the friendship ends and employee begins. He's a good guy, and I love what I do. Small operation (mom and pop),and we rent construction equipment to contractors in our area. Well, lately his partner ( in another business) has been coming around creating drama that I refuse to put up with. To the point to where I had to leave the shop three weeks ago , and just go home before I kicked his azz all over the yard. Not wanting to make a scene, so I just went home. The next day I spoke to the my boss, and explained to him that I was not happy about his partner coming over and trying to direct me , and my employees. I manage this business for the owner and he lives 3 hours away. So, the day I left early I decided it was time to find something else. I submitted a resume to a larger company that day. Well, last night one of the partners of that company called me at the house and offered me a deal that I would be stupid not to take. Management, similar business, and all kinds of incentives. My problem is, that I feel bad for the guy I work for now , because I have increased his revenue in the last two years, and my job is to run the business for him , now that he lives out of town. He won't be back in town until Tuesday, and I just can't go the whole weekend thinking about this whole deal. I plan on giving him as much time as he needs to find a replacement. Am I a total terd head for trying to speak to him about this over the phone?

I Guess my whole deal is that being a similar business I would nt want him to think I delayed saying anything so I could make copies of customer files or anything. My business now is strictly equipment rental. The other company sells and rents equipment .

How did your boss handle the situation with his partner once you spoke to him? Was it clear that he wouldn't address the situation or is he taking steps to make sure it won't happen again? Is he willing to make you happy?

I think you should be up front about it, but he doesn't necessarily need to know when this offer was made to you. If you wait until the day he's back in town, for all he knows the offer could've been made to you that same day. If you're willing to stay a while to help train someone new, then it seems you have the time to wait for him.

Are you feeling the need to talk to him for your own piece of mind? I'm still not convinced a phone call is the best route.

Is he that far away that you can't meet up w/ him sometime over the weekend?

Quitting a job is never easy. That being said,you need to be honest with him and yourself. If he is not going to fix the situation with his partner there is no reason to stay and put up with any more stress than is normal for the job. also if he is not willing to try to meet some of the new company's offers and you feel you will be happier there then go. Just remember jobs where you work for incentives such as sales commision, flat rate pay etc. it can be very cut throat and stressful. also smaller bussinesses are usually more employer to employee friendly.

While I feel you're trying to be right by your boss who has become a friend also, if he won't address the problem and fix it for you, then you need to be somewhere else. The only thing that might have been done differently is give the boss the chance to make the situation right before going for another job. If you see friendship in your boss, maybe he would straighten out his other partner. The differences in pay and benefits between the two jobs also need to be looked at when you are trying make a living and that's where it's hard to rely on friendship making up the difference.

I spoke with the owner, and he was disappointed. But glad that I made a move up. I've been self employed my whole life until just a few years ago. So, some of this is very new to me. He told me that he appreciated all I had done for him and his corny and wished me well. I will be handling the interviews for my replacement. He was completely understanding, and I'm glad it's over. The company I'm going to work for is a larger 9 location dealer ,but with small business feel. I can't wait to get started . As far as the partner thing, he told me that his partner now knows to stay away from his business. Unfortunately for him, it was too late with me. Thanks for the comments.

Be professional 1st.

If you don't have the offer in writing, get it. After you you accept and they confirm, tell the new job your new employer you feel the professional thing to do is offer you current employer a two week notice. Any professional in business understands the protocol.

THEN, give your notice. You current boss will try to counter offer, be professional and reply I feel this opportunity is the best career path for me. Do NOT accept a counter offer. It's time to walk…so do it.

If this guy is a real friend he'll understand. If he was a Good boss his clown partner wouldn't be pushing your buttons in the 1st place. Get a handle on the FACT he's nice to you 'cause you making him money.

I was in this very situation in my last job.

Best of Luck in your new job.

As tough as it is, it is strictly business and you have to do what is right for you. The way I look at it is, how many employers think nothing of giving you your last check on Friday with no notice ? That may not be your situation, but you gave your all, did a good job, and now it is time to move up.

Good luck in the new job and don't feel bad about this at all.

Don

I was in your boat before, I split and never looked back. My philosophy is never move backwards. Never go back to a company, never date a chick again, move on and move forward. Always try to better yourself. If not moving forward at least move lateral but never go backwards. I agree with the other fellas, he was kind because you were lining his pockets. Sure he's a nice guy, but if his in business with a kook partner he's gotta be half kook himself. Best of luck my man. I hope it works out.

Latest posts

Back