Tow rig for my T????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
Anyone got any good ideas how to build a homemade towwing set up to use for my T in case of emergency's?
Something simple but strong.

Wanna flat tow it or actually queen it with all 4 tires off the road?

I have had the stupid thought that an old school bus (older the better), chop the back half and flat bedded would make a pretty cool tow rig. Lower it with big truck air bags, would let ya get it alittle closer to the ground, and less ramp length off the rear end... Just something I have been toying with in my mind if I ever had the space and need for a flatbed.

I bet it would be pretty easy to build a T trailer, like those U-haul dollies that just hold the front wheels. Make a T out of heavy square tubing, put trailer wheels on 2 ends, trailer hitch on the other, longer end. Simple ramps to hold the front wheels, with some motorcycle straps over the wheels (or similar heavier straps), there you go. Wouldn't even need suspension b/c the suspension on the T-bucket will soak up the bumps.

I bet it would be pretty easy to build a T trailer, like those U-haul dollies that just hold the front wheels. Make a T out of heavy square tubing, put trailer wheels on 2 ends, trailer hitch on the other, longer end. Simple ramps to hold the front wheels, with some motorcycle straps over the wheels (or similar heavier straps), there you go. Wouldn't even need suspension b/c the suspension on the T-bucket will soak up the bumps.

If you look close at a tow dolly in action you will see the thing the wheels sit on swivels on the axle. Even with that swivel , tight turns make the wheels turn on the dolly and every so often they need to be straightened out .

Don't think it will work with out the swivel . Dollies don't wear out and can be bought used , cheap, only paid 250 bucks for mine . Don't forget automatics can't be towed with rear wheels on the ground.

Latest posts

Back