Traditional T Bucket / Track T Build for Under $5000?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs66440

Hey guys, I've been wanting to build a traditional T for a long time now, but I'm on a budget (who isn't...) It would be a no frills, no chrome type of build...chopped windshield, skinnies on steelies or chrome reverse, painted front axle, bare bones interior...

I would be building on an extreme budget. Fabbing/welding a lot of my own stuff, (but not the frame), scouring junk yards for parts, etc. I'm kind of limited by my 110 mig welder, so I will probably buy a frame with all the mounts welded, but fab most everything else myself.
It looks like Ron Pope Motorsports has some nice stuff at great prices.

Possibly purchasing a donor car for the drive train (ie: wrecked 80's Mustang, Ford van or similar) engine, trans, rear, brakes, etc.

A buddy of mine has gone through this and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get it registered. Apparently, along with all the typical stuff, the car will need to have a padded dash, padded sun visors, defroster, bumpers and catalytic converters!! Yikes! I didn't plan on those. especially since I want to run sprint car headers & side pipes. We'll see...

What do you think? Can this be done for $5000 or less? Is this a realistic goal?

In doing most the work yourself, depending on what you find your tin for and how much you wind up paying for your frame, yeah I suppose it could be done. If you get a donor car and part out stuff to extend your budget a bit, spend lots of time parts hunting, all that good stuff you will find that anything is possible.

I have been slowly working on my Dodge for 2 1/2 years, more sit time than anything, but I have a total of about $4100 in it I think. The only thing I have left to do is I want new front wheels and tires.

I think it can be done, But most people I know start out thinking I can do it for $5000... but they are almost always unhappy with what they end up with. I want cooler wheels, I don't like my pipes, I want some cool seats, the rear end gear is wrong, I need to rebuild all the brakes new pads, rotors and drums and so on and so on. there are so many things involved in building a rod that you don't think of until you start building! Good luck with your project, I hope you can do it!

I think it can be done, But most people I know start out thinking I can do it for $5000... but they are almost always unhappy with what they end up with. I want cooler wheels, I don't like my pipes, I want some cool seats, the rear end gear is wrong, I need to rebuild all the brakes new pads, rotors and drums and so on and so on. there are so many things involved in building a rod that you don't think of until you start building! Good luck with your project, I hope you can do it!
I hear ya! I've run over budget on almost every car I've built/owned, so I know what you're saying. It's going to be a challenge on this one, I know, but hopefully I can do it...

...overall, at this point my vision is for a very basic car. No-or very little-chrome. Lots of homemade and scrounged parts. I guess time will tell...

can be

it can be done with a lot of patience, scrounging, re-purpursing of old parts, shopping for deals or looking a lot on craigslist and defiantly looking at clearance items and asking friends for help.

by doing this l have less than 5K in in both the 1948 dodge truck and the street race car l am building.

l am way over that on the 193OlSH dodge and the 1966 chevelle, but l went with new on almost every thing for them.

Later :cool:

Well, the process has begun. For the sake of ease (budget and build wise) I decided to go with either a small block Ford or Chevy with an automatic trans. After sifting through some possibilities, I landed on this '84 Camaro Z-28. 305, 700R4 and open rear.

IMG_1683900x672_zpsec8c1edc.jpg

IMG_1681900x672_zps2bfc5199.jpg

IMG_1685900x672_zps4f1b67c3.jpg

IMG_1684900x672_zps7632ea79.jpg

IMG_1682900x672_zps6fb9f13f.jpg

It's a very rust free and fairly clean example. The engine is warmed over with a Eddy Performer cam, intake and carb. It starts right up and runs awesome. The trans was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and I assume the rear is good (haven't driven it). It has all new tires, brakes and front end parts. Also has a brand new fiberglass cowl induction hood. The best part is I got it for $1000. It's almost too nice to take apart. You don't see many around here that are this clean. But the fact is, they just aren't worth much. Sooo, she's comin' apart!

I can use the engine (needs to be cleaned and painted, but otherwise good), trans, rear and brakes directly from the car. I can sell the wheels & tires for maybe $200-$300. The hood is almost $600 new, so $300 shouldn't be a problem. I can probably part out a lot of the rest for an additional $500 or so. But, even if I just scrap it, I should be able to get $200 for it. So, all in all, I should be able to end up with the whole drive train for around $300. Not too bad so far...

I'll keep you posted on the progress....

looks

looks like a good deal..

you can sell off some of the parts to get some $$$ back and lower the cost of purchase so you stay closer to the budget:D

[P[P

so it has begun....... if you play your cards right you should be able to get more than that outta that old girl!! Could probably use more than you think of it too!!!

anymore progress?:confused:

I'm going to look at another possible donor car today. '78 Olds Cutlass with 50,000 miles and good running condition. I was pretty psyched about it because I thought it had a 305....and it's only $500, but now I find that they also came with 260 and the Pontiac 301. In that case, I can't use it. The owner doesn't know which it is. I'll ID it when I look at it today. If it's not a 305, i'm just going to pass on it.

I've also been doing a lot of research and learning about all the components I'm going to need. I'm hoping to order the frame & body within the next couple of weeks. :D

Latest posts

Back