Traditional vs Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elguap0

Im sure this topic has been discussed before. But, Im new. Soooooo. Why is it that "tradional" rodders hate us "rat" rodders so much? I mean they don't seem to just have different tastes. They seem to flat out hate us. I was just wanting to get some other peoples views on this.

The way I see it is when the current trend of Rat Rods first started to appear most were cobbled together and unsafe, using parts that should never be used on any vehicle bult on a very limited budget.

The current traditional rods are built using period correct (40s-60s) pieces and built to resemble a hot rod built during that era. They spend large amount of $$$ to get that correct look.

To the common non-rodders they can't really tell the difference and call Traditional rods, Rat Rods. Which Traditional rodders hate because they don't want to be associated to the Rat (junk) Rods.

I do believe the quality of most Rat Rods has improved. I don't see as many junk or shock rods as before.

I have Rat Rods, Traditional Rods, Street Rods, to me they are all Hot Rods!

If you're referring to another web site, a lot of those guys also have rats and it's only a few individuals that cause the ruckus. If you're talking about car guys in general, some don't understand it, some of 'em think we are just lazy builders, some don't like how they get attention over they're high dollar cars, and some just jump the band wagon. The narrow minded think all rat rods are unsafe just because of the name. The goofball unsafe stuff has mostly been weeded out.

To the common non-rodders they can't really tell the difference and call Traditional rods, Rat Rods.

Actually a lot of non-rodders think rat rods have to do with Rat Fink. Gassers, traditional style, and flat black are classic hot rod style - they don't know what else to call them.

high tech

then there are the guys who build a high tech frame/engine/suspension and put a "rat" body on it.

in the summer issue of hot rod a guy has a dodge truck that looks like it came outta the wrecking yard and every thing under the skin is modern.

several of these style builds are around.

people are even taking fiberglass bodies and faking them to look like a rat rod. there is two coupes, a sedan, a model A and a bunch of 32's l know of, all 'glass and all fake rats.

Later:rolleyes:

maybe they dislike em cuz we are stealing all the chicks? :) just saying.

seriously, i think they get so bent outta shape over em cuz we arent card holding members of the old boy club. you know the guys i mean, they hang out at that local drive in, chewin the fat and talking bout the good old days in high school, and then i show up in my frankentruck, and i order my food and the sweet little old lady hands it to me in a to go bag. :D how do we join the good old boy club? hahahahaha. never mind, i will keep the hot girls. ;) :cool:

Yes. I was speaking about the "other" site mostly. I got flamed pretty bad when I mention the word "rat rod". Needless to say I deleted my account. I'm new to the whole "rodder" scene anyway. I never really knew that there had been lines drawn in the sand. I have always been into the 60's and 70's muscle cars. I just recently got into "rat rods". I like the cartoonish look of the rats. Chopped top, slammed to the ground with super tall tires that stick up above the body lines. I think the rods with the flawless paint jobs are cool too. I just prefer the ones that are rusted all to hell. Im basicly of the opinion if someone dosen't like my style then .....f.. them. I know I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill....I was just kinda shocked at the reaction I got.

I haven't met any haters personally. You must have been hanging out at the HAMB. They pretty much hate the term ratrod over there so if you want to post, don't use it. Most of those guys are just like us, or some of us are members there. While I don't really like the flaming either, the site is pretty specific on what they do and don't allow and there are plenty of keyboard commandos that take it upon themselves to be the police. If they want to keep out VW bugs, Mexican jumping bean S-10s or cartoon rods, then so be it.

Coming from a racing background I build all my cars using the NSRA safety inspection and NHRA rules as a guide line for building all of my cars.

I have seen some rat and so call "traditional" cars that I would not drive down the driveway. I look at it this way, Make is safe so you or no one you pass would be hurt by it. And build it your way.

Anyway I build the car the way I like it and could care less what others thinks. And it just fun to park along side one of the those Traditional or high dollar nose in the air guys.

You can see hunderds of traditional or high dollar cars at every show but if you have something different it will get all the looks. I love driving my 58 Rambler American to the local cruses and just here and watch how people talk about how they had one or knew someone that did and you just don't see them any more.

Attachments

• my toys 007A.JPG
    my toys 007A.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 6
Coming from a racing background I build all my cars using the NSRA safety inspection and NHRA rules as a guide line for building all of my cars.

I have seen some rat and so call "traditional" cars that I would not drive down the driveway. I look at it this way, Make is safe so you or no one you pass would be hurt by it. And build it your way.

Anyway I build the car the way I like it and could care less what others thinks. And it just fun to park along side one of the those Traditional or high dollar nose in the air guys.

You can see hunderds of traditional or high dollar cars at every show but if you have something different it will get all the looks. I love driving my 58 Rambler American to the local cruses and just here and watch how people talk about how they had one or knew someone that did and you just don't see them any more.

Complete words of wisdom![cl Everyone should adopt this attitude...And yes it's fun to park next to the McMoney cars and watch their expressions!:eek:...CR

Like this. :D 1970 Hemi Challenger Guess who had a bigger crowd in front all weekend?

DSC_0173.jpg

Yeah, I'm wondering![S...That's a great looking ride DMW.. I think people simply like to look at things that are different and as much as I love Mopars and especially Hemi Mopars, I know I will probably never own one because of the price and something like your ride is definately more obtainable to most of us! And besides it looks cooler that the others!:D...CR

I suppose it all comes down to opinion and what you like.

You just have to build it the way you see it and forget about my or anybody else's opinion.

If the workmanship is good and the vehicle is safe, have fun and enjoy it.

Call it what you want, but either way everyone else will call it a Rat if it is old, has any rust, little paint, etc.

I watched the Devil at Your Feet and those guys hate Rat Rods yet in my opinion they all drive what I would call, Rat Rods.

To each his own.

Over the summer I was at a show and tried talking to an old lady about the restored model A her and her husband had at this show. I was just trying to express my appriciation of the hystorical value of cars like that and she starts flaming on a few cars across the isle!:eek: Some were typical street rods and some were more on the ratty side. Everybody has their oppinions, likes and dislikes. I like em all myself

At the Street Rod Nats. in Louisville I have actually seen guys with high dollar cars get up and move when a rat parks next to them. I just have to laugh.

Latest posts

Back