Traditional vs Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of us are too caught up in symantics these days. Everything is so specialized and compartmentalized that you have to be an authority on all subjects as not to offend someone by using an incorrect term.

I laugh to myself sometimes that some folks are so offended by the term rat rod that they won't even say (or type) it. They refer to the label as the "R" word, as if it's a curse word. Really? Are we that sensitive in the hobby now days? I like to have fun with it so nothing really bothers me in that way. I think in part, some of the hate stems from keyboard cowboys just wanting to be accepted by the cool guys on the internet so they like to pour it on when "rat rods" come up. It's also funny that the SAME car called something different becomes completely accepted to these people.

That being said, the other site mentioned here has a specific focus and I don't disagree with their mission to maintain that focus as I do like and admire traditional hot rods. There's a history associated with these cars and trucks that needs to be preserved. I think the confusion lies in that many cars on that site could easily be termed as rat rods and are most certianly not traditional hot rods or customs depending on an individuals point of view and the popularity of the person that posted it. On the other hand, there is no need to flame someone who may have missed tyhe focus. Just give them some direction. You never know who that person may be.

Some people get so angry if a novice or spectator at a show mis-labels their car. Lighten up people. Don't expect everyone to be an expert. That novice was probably trying to pay you a compliment but just was not up on current terminology which seems to constantly evolve.

Okay I'm done :D rat rod rat rod rat rat rod rat rod.

Can't just all get along??????????????

crybaby.jpg

Went to the local cruise Saturday night. The only place i could see to park was next to the artificial '32 coupe street rods. The owners were sitting together and wouldn't be caught glancing at the Model A :) That's kind of odd because the public flocked around it :) The hit of the show was something yet to be pigeonholed. It was a Mitsubishi coupe at the edge of the parking lot with a jet engine in the back. The engine was somehow made to cough and sputter which made fireballs that lit up the sky and thunderballs that rocked the whole area! They got away before the cops came too :)

Last edited:
I think they are just jealous that we found the tin first. They're probably ****ed we can have fun with that found tin and a couple grand worth of parts. Without having to worry about a door ding from some old ladies station wagon at Wal-Mart...[dr

I was just thinking, amused myself. I remember people on the "traditional" site oohing and ahhing over a bunch of old 60s showcars, some of which were Barris' pool table car and toilet car. He built some just plain stupid goofy cars but they are still "cool" just because his name is on them. Or how about the Druid Queen? Big old thread about how cool that car was/is. I don't care who built it when, goofy is goofy.

I personally have loved cars of all shapes and sizes. The other site is full of people who strive to make the make there car what they desire. This type of car has survived for more than half a century. Rat rods are a newer faction of the car world. As for old rods being rat rods. You could not be more wrong. Most of the older generation would not have dreamed of rolling there car out with that much rust. I am not saying there wasn't a few but the vast majority wanted there cars to look nice as well. As far as spending thousands and thousands on your car, in this day and age you tend to get what you pay for. More and more everything is made in china. The quality is way down( just ask anyone using speedway parts). I am a member of the other site and am not here to flame anyone or cause trouble just here see all the cars and ideas. As well as share a few of my own. I am building a period correct car because I want to not to please anyone else.

Rat rods are a newer faction of the car world

Really? They were there in plentiful quantities, they were just called something else. Todays "traditionalists" make the mistaken assumption that magazine quality cars were the norm because that's what is left as documentation. This dabate will never be settled but but is very inaccurately portrayed by uninformed or misinformed people.

Its all in the trends dude... I'm into everything and build (as of lately) mostly Hondas... A lot of the guys in the Honda/Import scene frown on my style of building... Just roll w/ it... Build what you want, how you want it... As long as its safe, within budget and you have fun w/ it, go for it...

Latest posts

Back