trailer leaf springs for rod?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
hi everybody
i am on my 1st build and i need some leaf springs for the front.
can i use trailer springs?
they come in the length i need and take 9/16 bolts but most of them are 1 3/4 instead of 2" wide.
they are rated for 1000lbs. and up in various increments.
will the narrower springs work for me?
this is for a 27 chevy p/u .
thank you for your time
bill

alot of the springs built for hotrods are 1-3/4 wide also so as long as you pic the right rating for your appl. it will work, i'm using 2 trailer springs for the front of my altered wheel base comet, they are the same width 1-3/4 and i up'd the rating to handle the shock of the front end travel.

dp1

hey billy, i used a trailer spring from a "tractor supply" store TSC

right length, about a 2000-2500 lb. rating, and about 30 bucks.....

i guess i should mention that i've got it all mounted up, but haven't driven the rat it's on yet....

i know i'm not the only one who has done this-maybe some others can help reassure you in your choice....

thanks fellas
it seems like they would work but the originals are 2".
cant hurt ta ask eh?
they are super cheap too!

guy up the road from me built his front and rear's with them . ride's a little rough cause there short , but ive seen alot of rats with no springs at all . trailer springs are rated light . if all your running is a cab , id only go 1000lb each end .

guy up the road from me built his front and rear's with them . ride's a little rough cause there short , but ive seen alot of rats with no springs at all . trailer springs are rated light . if all your running is a cab , id only go 1000lb each end .

i can get them in 1" increments from 20-36"

Hey Billy,

I too am using a trailer spring rated at 2000-2500 lbs, 1 3/4 wide from Northern Tools Company. Cost $24.00.

You shouldnt have any problem with one if you are sure about what weight you need. I am running a straight six in mine.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0255.jpg
    DSCF0255.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 110
He's mine, not running yet but should work. I got mine from a boat wrecking yard...

Attachments

• ratrod 002.jpg
    ratrod 002.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 109
i am going to run the trailer springs.
and use the saved money to buy all the steel needed to build a frame.

i use a car trailer spring! had no problems , but i did add a few leafs to hold up the flatheadv8 i had in it.

Attachments

• DSC00329.JPG
    DSC00329.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00391.JPG
    DSC00391.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 56
  • hag2.JPG
    hag2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
Billy where are you finding the springs at. I can not find any over 25 inch but i need a 29 inch.

thanks cj

Man I'm glad I read this post. I never thought of trailer springs and the fact you can get em in different lengths. Heck of alot cheaper than Speedway and such. Thanks for the Idea[cl

Trailer spring

I have a 62 falcon gasser with a big block chevy I used trailer springs
I have been building gassers and street rods for 38 yrs I have also had
springs made at local spring shops never had a problem with either hope
that helps

I have a 62 falcon gasser with a big block chevy I used trailer springs
I have been building gassers and street rods for 38 yrs I have also had
springs made at local spring shops never had a problem with either hope
that helps

it makes me feel better.
and that always helps!:D

Latest posts