Trailer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty close to being drivable, but I then have to figure out all the safety/reliability issues before I really drive anywhere, so I have debated this too...

For my car, safety is obviously first, especially since my wife is now pregnant and the legality thing concerns me too. I also don't have much experience or any buddies to help me out, so I would like to bring it out and get some ideas from others about safety who I would never get the chance to show my car to.

For someone else trailering their car I don't care if they get pulled over or don't make it to the show because they broke down but I would rather them trailer it than drive an unsafe car on the road... I would also still like to see their car, even if it's unsafe or poorly built and hopefully someone at the show knows better and can help them and talk them into fixing it before they drive it.

If your car is drivable then drive....... The trailer is for when you break down and need a tow!

I've been wanting to take mine for a "road trip". I would, however, feel better knowing there's a trailer following me just in case. Other than that, drive the hell out of it!

Im all for the drive it if it can be driven. I am 38, have built and ridden hard tails, hot rods etc, and I have 2 herniated discs in my back. I will still ride/drive to whatever destination that I am headed for. I road a hardtail buell based chopper from NH to NC and back 2500miles in all. Yes all of us were laying on the concrete cause it was "comfortable" after 9 hours on the road.
Now on the other hand I am not opposed to having a chase truck or trailer to come along as well. A 900 mile tow bill is horrendous! We are planning a cross country trip with my wife, her sister and my brother in law. He is building a Locost (lotus seven rplica) and I will be taking either the 35 ford pick up if it is done or my 69 chevelle (BBC roll cage and solid mounts). So I guess it is up to the end user what they do. I just don't get the pi**ing match about it. Kinda like the "I drive a harley" B.S. It's about riding or driving not what you have. Just my $.015

We put about 5,000 miles on the 48 flatbed in the past year and a half.

I have already started the process of psyching myself up to make the drive to Bonneville in August.

I still have a little more work to do in the gas mileage department. I am UP to 10 to 13 mpg. It was 7-8 mpg before the cam swap. I'm gonna try going to a smaller carb and see what happens.

I had an 84 S10 blazer with a 355, 700R4 and 3:42's and I got that up to about 16.5 on a long freeway haul. Have to keep your foot out of it though.

Latest posts

Back