Trying to get this, 46' Ford Panel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpswino

Trying to get this from a local guy who really does not want to sell. Can you blame him? Big potential.

For simplicity, since I do not have the experience, space or time, I was wondering what GM chassis would yall suggest to set this puppy on. 1970 big block power (already built) and th400 tranny. I say GM for ease of install.

I know, before its said, an old chassis rebuild with solid front axle is way more cool. That could be stage two for me maybe. Right now, a cool rod running down the road is the priority. The fella who is the seller would be doing the chop, with whatever help I can provide. It would be more learning for me than anything. I'd love to claim I'm doing the chop with his help but I am sure it will be the other way around. Why lie?

IMG00068.jpg

IMG00069.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00072.jpg

Last edited:
If you have never done a chassis swap before you will quickly find out that "ease" and "simplicity" are usually the last words involved with this undertaking. It is far from just sitting it on another chassis and bolting it down. It can be done, but doing it right is rarely easy. There is a LOT involved, so make sure you take your time and choose wisely. I do think it would look much better unchopped though, which WOULD be easier for you. Deliverys just get too much out of proportion when chopped IMO. Put it on the ground and go...

body swap

Not trying to step on your advice, but I built a 47 Ford on a 86 F150 4x4 frame it was realy easy:) a lot easer than my hot rod was to build. just pulled the 86 body off and went to town:D I used a lot of parts out of the 86 the complete petel setup (swing) brake and clutch fits up under the dash of the 47 just like it was made for it. :D mounted the cab on the frame where I wanted it and just fabed mounts to Good luck Doug

Attachments

• DCP00582.JPG
    DCP00582.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DCP00584.JPG
    DCP00584.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DCP00585.JPG
    DCP00585.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DCP00588.JPG
    DCP00588.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 13
That's my buddy Mike's truck. This is the shop where I'm working on my 46 pick-up and currently chopping my 51 Pontiac. Since busting up my shoulder I'm not working at the meseum co. anymore so i'm renting a third of the shop.
If you look up my posts on my Packard and my truck you'll see the inside of the shop and all of our projects. I'll get pics of the Pontiac and updates on the truck soon.

P.S. The passenger side fender on that panel is missing because it's already on my truck. the drivers side will be off there soon too;)

Yep, just met Mike this past weekend when I first spoke to him about the project. Stopped in to see him again today and see if we can work a deal. Thats when I took the pics. A real cool fella and has some superb projects in the works. Particularly his own truck and bike in the shop!

Hopefully he work with me. I'd really like this one for the big block. Everyone say a prayer for me that Mike lets it go. :D

Well its an old thread yeah, but a new update on the story!

Stopped by today to see if the guy maybe would reconsider a sale of the panel truck. It looked like I may be able to strike a deal! Whooo hooo!

I also got to meet Old Gold and another guy that posted in my other thread that goes by Stright8s&aces or something like that. I'll have to go to my other thread to get his screen name correct. Anyways, both cool guys and quite unbelievable since I'm in poedunknophuckinwhere Michigan and they both happen to be there when I stopped in today. Way cool.

Wish me luck guys. I may have found my ride. [cl

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back