Trying to save old iron

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I got word of a couple cars destined for the crusher so I went out and looked at them. A 54 Ford mainline 2 door and a 50 pontiac 8 4 door. Both pretty sad, glass all long gone, interiors gone and parts missing. The Ford has a real straight body, a little rust in the front fenders, good bumpers, straight grille but some surface rust, overdrive tranny and steering column long gone and one head off. The pontiac is a little more complete but the same shape. It has lots of nice trim, bumpers and tail light housings. I hate to see these cars go but at $145 a ton, there just aren't that many good parts. He is going to let me get at whatever I can pull off before the truck takes them on in but it will be a grab and dash situation. It's sad that these old cars are worth more as scrap than as a vintage parts source.

I don't know, at $145 a ton, that only comes out to a little over $200 per car, (scrap price)...I would think any '50's 2-door body, that is in good shape, (as you stated), especially a Ford, would be worth a lot more than $200...I know it would be around here...

...and that Pontiac, if mostly complete, (and not destroyed), has got to have about $1,000-$1,200 worth of parts on it, if you parted it out through eBay...and when you're done parting it out, you'd still have the carcass to scrap!

Man, I hate that..

I hate hearing about old American iron like that being crushed. Maybe I am a romantic, but I have a hard time finding respect for the scrappers that crush stuff like that for a couple bills. That stuff is Americana. Wish someone could save those..

The price of scrap iron varies a lot. Locally it's going for $8 for a 100 lbs, and in the city appx $12/100. So a 3000 lb car will draw $240 to $360. It looks like the 80s stuff is usually what gets hauled, but old tractors are heavy and I see alot go to the scrap lately..

That drives every thing at the JY up -- they usta charge people to get Junk cars, now they pay, so we pay.. It makes it difficult to figger whats a reasonable price to give for stuff. I've gotten to the point where I don't worry too much about a good deal, If I like it and have the $ are the main factors.

JY building is still cheep fun.

PA41

Sorta agree with that..

I don't worry as much about what current retale value of something I am looking at either. I am one that has overpaid for something I specifically wanted, but then again, I got awesome deals too so it all balances out. I do look at current value, but that doesn't always trump what something is worth to me. For instance, something might be hard to come by, but not really sought after or valuable. But, I think about when the next time I might, or might not see one like that again, so that trumps any real value of it. I see something, and know the real value most the time, and also what it's value is to me personally, and figure out what my top dollar for it is, and start the wheeling and dealing..

I hate hearing about old American iron like that being crushed. Maybe I am a romantic, but I have a hard time finding respect for the scrappers that crush stuff like that for a couple bills. That stuff is Americana. Wish someone could save those..

Go for it... all you need is 40 acres close to town, a bunch of cash and the ability to unload the cars and trucks without killing them.:eek:

Locally, the rate is currently $185-203 a ton... I can account for about $2500 I would have to pay out this week for cars that would be nice to have saved.

LRR

old iron

Every forum on the net has the save the old iron threads but when you post a good find of trucks and cars for dirt cheap ,the only responce you get is its either to far or can I buy the mirror off one of them. Case in fact,4- old trucks late 30 early 40,one 46 2-door coupe,2 65 c-10 pickups,one stepside,one fleetside. whole front clip,and frame to 41 Ford convertible,1 70 ford maverick,64 Plymouth satilite, and loads of parts all for $3500 and no takers at all,that is why I hate to see the same old,Lets save them,but it mostly just talk.Even had one idiot asking if it all could be delivered for 500 dollars.Don"t get me wrong there are a lot of true hotrodders and mechanics out there saving all they can but if you are going to just talk about saving them,they won"t get saved,and then people bitch about the cost of parts.:cool:

I wish I could buy a hulk on it's way to the crusher for even double scrap price. but they won't sell to ya
They want a couple grand or more or they'll crush it before they give you a deal.
if there's any money to be made they want it all or they don't want anyone else to make it.
Old cars and hobbyists are just the unfortunate victims of the ghetto-fabulous Hobo junk pimp lol. As arrogant as is the primped and preened goldchainer...but the total opposite extreme lol

Sometimes the guy who built the collection valued it and it's their kids want to get rich off it or get whatever they can get right now.

but then again Iv'e sent stuff to the crusher because no-one would respect the value of my time and money in the thing and there is a satisfaction in knowing that some one with no respect for your time and money not benefiting on exploiting you.
The crusher is honest and impartial. it knows no honor nor does it hold any grudges.

Every forum on the net has the save the old iron threads but when you post a good find of trucks and cars for dirt cheap ,the only responce you get is its either to far or can I buy the mirror off one of them. Case in fact,4- old trucks late 30 early 40,one 46 2-door coupe,2 65 c-10 pickups,one stepside,one fleetside. whole front clip,and frame to 41 Ford convertible,1 70 ford maverick,64 Plymouth satilite, and loads of parts all for $3500 and no takers at all,that is why I hate to see the same old,Lets save them,but it mostly just talk.Even had one idiot asking if it all could be delivered for 500 dollars.Don"t get me wrong there are a lot of true hotrodders and mechanics out there saving all they can but if you are going to just talk about saving them,they won"t get saved,and then people bitch about the cost of parts.:cool:

I agree, I tried to give away a good 37 ford frame and got a lot of "I wish I was closer" It neded up going to scrap. I can keep some stuff around here but there are dealers who will rat out anyone they think is competing, then you have the state on you for not having a dismantlers license and then the epa comes in and tells you how to run your operation. It isn't just get a few acres and start saving them.

just saw on CL here that a guys trying to sell any parts anyone needs
off of a 65 chevy bc hes scrappin it on monday -
i emailed him how much for the whole truck
- no reply yet.

Unless you live in a rural area, and have enough space that no one can see the old iron your saving or parting out, its hard to justify the costs involved to rescue vintage rides. The closer you are to "the big city" the harder it is to find the cars and the more costly it is to store them. Any of you guys here in Maryland that want to get together and buy a large warehouse...?

Latest posts

Back