tunn signal switch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busman

turn signal switch

I am looking for a turn signal switch that mounts on the dash instead of the column. A toggle style switch. Does anyone know of a application that would use such a switch. I want to use a combo brake / turn signal wire and do not want to run a separate turn signal circuit.

Last edited:
I have a toggle switch in my dash for the turn signals. It's a 3 way momentary toggle. Ron Francis has them. I got mine locally at a marine supply store.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/switches.htm

I made a mounting plate behind my column drop and wired indicator lights to the switch. This is the only pic I have, I mounted the switch in the empty hole. The middle light is a high beam indicator.

Thanks Gastrick,
What marine application would use a switch like that?

I'm not sure about the application busman. I was just looking at switches in the electrical section of the store and found one that I could use. It was just a generic switch hanging there with the rest of them.

Gastrick is right, when I worked for Boat US and West Marine we had a variety of these on the wall. That particular switch is used whenever you want to run two different lights or accessories off of one switch. It's been a while but they are made by Cole Hersee and I think are called double pole, double throw switches. They come in two versions, momentary (where you have to hold the toggle over to either side as it will spring back to the middle) or regular, (where the toggle clicks to either side and stays there until you move it back to the middle, off position).

I mounted my turn signal switch under my seat because I wanted a clean dash, and it was a big mistake. I have to fumble under there when I want to use it and I keep forgetting to turn the signal off. I'm going to do what Gastrick did and move mine to the column support and put indicator lights on it too. After all, us old people have a bad enough reputation for driving along with our turn signal on for miles and miles. :eek::D:D

Don

Here's a couple part #s from NAPA TG6050 TG6052 Both of those also have an illuminated toggle or TG6042 for a non illuminated toggle. How do you plan to wire it into the brakelights without feedback or the fact it will not be blinking while you are brakeing? That whole function is incorporated into the column mounted switch. It could probably be done with some relays but I'd have to set down with a scratch pad to figure out the wiring.
Or you could get an off mom-on-off mom switch and put it in the ground side of the brake light circuit so you only had turn signal while braking...naahh..dumb idea.
Well, anyway this is the fun part of hotrodding, figuring this stuff out.

I got a nifty switch out of a Healey or MG years ago, it was a dash-mount signal switch that had a separate switch that went on the steering column. The main switch held position with electromagnets, until the second switch, triggered by a protrusion on the steering shaft, broke the ground and cancelled the signal. I think mid-60's Limey cars used them a lot. The switch bolted on under the bottom lip of the dashboard. Had an indicator light, even. The cancelling switch could be mounted out of sight somewhere.

all the switches in one...motorcycle style you know the 55 is getting this treatment!

Attachments

• worldofwheels 078.jpg
    worldofwheels 078.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 28
  • worldofwheels 080.jpg
    worldofwheels 080.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 21
  • worldofwheels 079.jpg
    worldofwheels 079.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 30
One of my trucks has an external to the colume signal stat 900 sigflare switch. you can mount it anywhere and it controls the brake lights along with having
the emg Flasher.
Here's one on Epay right now.
http://myturl.com/0p4A1

If you decide to go this way msg me and I'll send you the wiring diagram

Got it finished. Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using two double pole double throw switches. I have brake lights turn signals and hazards. Found this on the net somtime ago, wasnt quite what I wanted but it works well and was cheap and easy to wire. The one from Ron Francis wiring was what I was wanting but it was a pretty expensive switch.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back