tunnel ram

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tunnel ram

Thanks SF. Just so happened that's one I saved it to my favorites online. I appreciate all you talked about 8Liter but I sure don't understand any of it.:confused: I vaguely remember the weights and springs and all that but basically I remember the rotor cap.[S
Believe me, I have all the respect in the world for everything you said and your knowledge about all that is incredible and if all that is basic distributors 101, that shows just how ignorant I am about that stuff. Perhaps the one that SF suggested may be the one for me as it's basically a put in and use. I need simple. I really don't plan on building hotrods for a living. I'm getting up there in age and I just wanna enjoy this one. I realize it could take me up to 5 years to get it done and God only knows how much time I got left on this earth but I don't think enough time to build a couple of these. LOL
Please don't give up on me though. I certainly need all yall's help. I got a long way to go.

Man, I thought the same thing when I started mine. Took 2 1/2 years and people told me that was quick. Had a massive heart attack that they can't fix about time the thing was done and I'm fixing to cross the 4000 mile mark on the 31. Still got ideas to do more but sure am enjoying just running it. Here we are stepping into the new year....one I wasn't sure of seeing. Whodathunk???:D

Man, I thought the same thing when I started mine. Took 2 1/2 years and people told me that was quick. Had a massive heart attack that they can't fix about time the thing was done and I'm fixing to cross the 4000 mile mark on the 31. Still got ideas to do more but sure am enjoying just running it. Here we are stepping into the new year....one I wasn't sure of seeing. Whodathunk???:D
I am glad you will be roaring into the new year, smallfoot. Too many people that I like are checking out lately. Maybe you should start another project, just to be sure for the next decade. :D

Smallfoot, I also vote with Skip and forbigpicture. You have to put those magic hands to work again so we can all have more pictures to watch and stories to listen to.
You made a pleasing vehicle out of small armload of rusty metal. We like watching you do that.

Hey thanks guys! Happy New year to you all....I ain't through building yet, just got some other things to take care of first. Now, about that tunnelram...:D

Tunnel ram

Thanks for the info SF my fellow flawidian. I ordered the flamethrower today.
2 1/2 yrs is quick from what I hear. I know a guy I used to work with, who's even older than me (which is hard to fathom) that took 10 yrs to build his 29 truck but it's a showpiece. Only difference is, he's still workin to pay for it. :(
Although if I'd have known I was gonna take on a project like this, I probably wouldn't have retired either.:eek:
I'm glad I did though. I woulda been really peed off if I'd have had to work for the rest of my life. I've been enjoyin my retirement thus far and feel blessed that I could retire at a fairly young age in 2010. I wanna be sure I have plenty to do though. God knows I know plenty of guys that retire and a year later they flop out due to a lack of anything to do. Same with the guys that I know work till they flop out. No hobbies, and lack of things to do. Between this car, ridin my street glide, and honeydoos......I don't know how I had time to work.;) And now we're gonna be movin to Mnt Airy NC (Mayberry RFD) in the not too distant future. So.....lots a packin to be done soon.

Tunnel ram

No family there Old Iron. Just a nice quiet atmosphere to ride out the rest of our lives. Jacksonville has gotten too crowded for us, at least 2 murders in the news locally everyday, and the heat during the summers here are getting unbearable. I used to could deal with the heat when I was younger but like the people who put their bike up for the winter up north I put mine up for the summers here. Too much like ridin in an oven.
We figgered what better place then Mayberry (Mnt Airy) where Andy Griffith grew up. We've visited many times and it's so nice and small townish with a lotta hot rodders in the area as well. Plus, the humidity isn't so bad there. Here during the summer, it's 98 degrees with 100% humidity. You walk outside and the air appears thick. I've just grown tired of it.

Tunnel ram

Well guys, here we are after all your advice thus far. Although now I'm thinkin I shoulda done the body and frame first, then the engine but......reckon after I get some oil up in it it's not gonna hurt it to set for awhile.
Still got a lot to put together on the engine still but it's all minor stuff now. What's in: Comp Cam's CS XE268H-10, 1.60 3/8 self aligning aluminum roller rockers w/polylocks, 2/390 0-8007 Holley carbs (not installed just sittin on top for a glimpse at the future....same with the water pump), 210cc runners, combustion chamber 64cc aluminum heads . Melling M55HV high volume (reg. pressure) oil pump and went a total of 30 over on the cylinders with Mahle 350 flat top pistons and Rings. [cl
Things left to install r - Gilmer belt drive belt and pulleys, a chrome Edelbrock 1721 performer mechanical fuel pump, chrome high output alternator, and a chrome high output mini starter, then after that, mostly hardware, belts and wires and. I did get the flamethrower distributor and that should do it. Anyone think of anything else I need?? For what I've spent on this motor thus far, I coulda got a crate motor. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC03283.jpg
    DSC03283.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03278.jpg
    DSC03278.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03276.jpg
    DSC03276.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 35
"For what I've spent on this motor thus far, I coulda got a crate motor."
Yep, but where's the fun in that [ddd [cl :cool:

Tunnel ram

You're right Old Iron. Not to mention the learning experience. So much has changed since the days when I did this kinda stuff back in the early 70's. Learning and fun. I like it. So will be doin this body and frame now too. Gotta get some gas for the new welder and begin practicing on that. Really lookin forward to it. [cl

Ooops...just noticed in the pictures I have the carbs on backwards. :eek:

You mean sideways - ;)

"For what I've spent on this motor thus far, I coulda got a crate motor."
Yep, but where's the fun in that [ddd [cl :cool:

Been there, done that, got the engine. I'm glad I did, but I might not do it the same way next time. I'd probably do the short block myself, but I spent $2000 on head work on cast iron heads, and complete aluminum heads with the same specs would have been the same price.

Tunnel ram

I know what you mean 8Liter. I ruined a set of cast iron heads tryin to port and polish em myself. Well....one of em anyway. I mean it looks great. Nice mirror finish but then found out that that isn't how the intake side should be. The aluminum heads cost me 600 bucks on ebay.

Wow Beave. What a system you got there. I have so much respect for those who can manufacture stuff like that and make it work. I wish I had that kinda know how, the tools, and the ability to do that kinda stuff. Very impressive.
I still got a long way to go. Now that the engine is pretty much done, now it's time to start on the frame and body.

tunnel ram engine lift

Hiya guys. Been awhile since I've been on here. Actually been workin on the car. I have a question for those with experience on liftin the engine. Below are pictures of where I'm at on the motor. I've been working lately on fitting the windshield and posts on. Not goin so well. Anyway, I know I'll be needing to put the engine in and out for fitment of the steering box and other items. My question is, is it ok to lift the engine and transmission with one of those carb plates that fit into the intake manifold. I'm worried the aluminum tunnel ram intake won't withstand the weight of the engine and transmission. Any suggestions of a better way to do it or will it hold under the weight?? [S

Attachments

• DSC03302.jpg
    DSC03302.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC03305.jpg
    DSC03305.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 12
windshield fitment

I'm also havin a problem with the windshield fitment. Since I've never seen how one's suppose to fit or how they attach, and it appears no one around here has a 29 ford I can look at, not sure how the windshield and parts all go together. The guy I got the car from cut the top off the windshield support cowls. I have the repair parts for that, but after tryin to fit everything in place prior to welding, nothin seems to fit very well. It also appears that the windshield frame is too wide. Now I don't know if that's the case or I don't have something lined up right or missin some pieces. I've attached some pictures of that too for those who can help out.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

• DSC03308.jpg
    DSC03308.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03315.jpg
    DSC03315.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03316.jpg
    DSC03316.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03312.jpg