Turbo, 350 Chev, Bedford thing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopz

For the past couple of months I've been hastily putting together a nightmarish contraption made from rust and spare parts for our annual Rejex Rally.

The event concluded yesterday, so the veil of secrecy has been lifted haha. I have been very slack in keeping a build log, as honestly, we made most of it up as we went.

In lieu of a pile of pics, I had a spare GoPro setup in the corner of the build shed taking pics through most of t he build. Towards the end things were getting pretty tight as the timeline closed in, so there were a few bits the camera missed.

Chassis - 55 Mainline
Cab - 50ish Bedford A model. Has history with Katherine and Darwin Dept Civil Aviation in the 60s, so ideal for Rejex.
Engine - 350 TPI from my old Camaro IROC + GT40
Trans - Built Th400. Manualised but standard pattern.
Front grille - 30something Dodge Fargo
Steering - XD power steering box and spindals
Diff - EL wagon lolz
Brakes - Hopper Stoppers VT conversion front and EL rear disc up back

Misc
- Painless loom and 8 switch panel.
- 044 pump
- Stainless keg (Castelmain Berweries) fuel tank.
- 6.5 inch chop on the cab.
- Hydraulic handbrake

Probably more, but a heap is going to change as I refine things and spend more time on it.
Anyway, this what i have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT0KrAgyFng&feature=player_embedded

Incar and outside footage of one of the more 'fun' runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXSB1qqpnU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAp47jNRto&feature=player_embedded

"In Rust We Trust"

311.jpg

511.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

487746_4486448038774_1647238854_n.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

Awesome man, I was just watching those videos the other night when I stumbled across your build on another site. Looks great, I'm doing a Bedford myself, next model after that without the split screen. Welcome to RRR!

Cheers everyone. Its back in the workshed now, about to get cut up again. (Hence posting it in the build forum)

love the wheels, they look great on that truck[cl

Later :cool:

Not many people have agreed with you there mate lol. And after pretty much destroying nearly $1000 of 18inch rubber in a weekend, neither do I haha [ddd

Looking for a more sustainable wheel and tyre combo atm. Given the rest of the truck's "look", i guess steelies would be an obvious choice. I intend to swap in a Commodore IRS cradle I have sitting here and shorten the wheel base up to about 100inches, so depending on how the wheel track ends up, I'll probably just get a bunch of 16inch steelies, cut and flip the centres insideout and run light truck tyres.

I should be able to get a steady supply of used 235/80 R16s from the local truck joints around the place, as they would be too tall for teh usual burnout/speedway crowd.

Of course that means I'll have ford stud pattern up front with all the flash aftermarket XF gear, and commodore stud up the back...

But thats the whole point of a rat rod right? [cl

Mate I love it!!!
Now I'm spewing I can't make the Rejex this year..

I'm in Darwin & about to do a build with a bedford of the same make.
I'll have to chase up some more photo's if possible & see if I can make it to next years Rejex

Latest posts

Back