Turkey Run is only 24 more days away!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, you are right about the room rates dropping. We usually pay about $ 200 a night and this year it was $ 135 including tax. [cl We decided to try a different place this year just for giggles and are staying at the Best Western Aku Tiki on AIA. We'll see how the parking situation is there, they tell me it is no problem even in Bike Week.

I hope the swap meet is good this year, I need a lot of stuff to finish the engine for my 27..........plus anything else I just can't live without. :D I think the fear lots of people are having about the any year accepted thing is that the ricers will start showing up and act inappropriately. I know when we had our local shows we banned them because of the blaring stereos and them driving like idiots in the parking area. If that starts happening Billetproof will be the only show I look forward to each year..............that and Billetproof drags. I'm prepping my 27 to take on Glenn and Big Mike. Tired of seeing coupes having all the fun. :D:D

Don

Ok!! Only 7 more days till Turkey run!![cl This will be my first with my truck entered![dr I am kind of glad they opened the cut off years or I would just be a spectator.(again) But I see everyones point, I would love to have Gastricks or Don's Rides, But I got what I got. I'll let them decide when they see my truck But I like it!!!![dr[cl

Doug[ddd

I fixed our broken Radio Flyer wagon today that we pull around in the swap meet. It's not very big but It'll carry a heavier payload now:D. I also started putting together our "go box" with all of our tools, supplies, fluids, and widgets. We rarely end up using it but you never know. It's mostly come in handy for others. I can't count the number of parking lot repairs that have been made with that stuff over the years.

Well there's a positive right there. Doug gets to participate this year. I think I've been to the Turkey Run more years without a car/truck than with. I've been a passenger about half the time. One year I sold my truck while I was there and had to bum a ride home.

I'm getting anxious to get on the road. It's gonna be a loud trip. I still don't have a muffled exhaust system on my coupe [P

Last edited:
But then where would my blow up doll ride? ;)

Yep Bill, your tool kit came in handy when I had that brake light problem and we fixed it in the parking lot of the hotel......well actually Dan fixed it and I supervised. :p

I almost bought a big wagon from Harbor Freight the other day to be able to carry more stuff at the swap meet than my little cart does, but then I remembered I would have no way to get it into the infield because Don will have his T and I will have mine. I can at least put my little one in the passengers seat for the ride in.

I'm in a buying mood this year. I don't know exactly what I want or need, but I'm sure it will jump out at me when I see it. :D

Don

We have a situation here at Team Gastrick:

As some of you know, my Dad has heart trouble and has had numerous close calls, heart attacks, and surgerys over the past few years. He has a fibulator device implanted that is supposed to jump start his ticker if it detects a problem. Well today, the fibulator device malfunctioned and started sending pulses through his system at random. He had to go to the hospital and will subsequently undergo surgery tomorrow for replacement of the device and inspection of the leads to the heart.

I'm not sure if any of us are going to make the trip to Daytona or not. I'll have to keep you updated as things progress.

On a less serious note but also a glitch in the Turkey Run plans, my coupe is barely running. I have some type of ignition bug that has yet to be properly diagnosed. I'm going to work on it through the night tonight to see what I can do.

Sorry to hear about your pops. Hope everything goes well tommorow for yall. Will shoot a prayer for you and your family. Not sure if I am going to make it. Am trying hard. Again will be praying for your family.
Buddy

Thanks for the thoughts/prayers Doug and Buddy.

Here's an update:

My dad's surgery requires expertise in a specific field and no surgeons are available until Friday or Monday. He won't be able to go to the Turkey Run but is feeling okay. His fibulator shorted out and died and they have to replace the whole system, including the leads to the heart.

I fiddled with the ignition system in my coupe most of the night. It's running great right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drive it. Me, my brother, and my son will be making the voyage so I hope to catch you guys up there. It's pouring rain here and according to the weather reports, we are probably going to have a wet trip up to Daytona but it should be nice when we get there.

Thanks c-dog,

Well we're loading up the cars and heading out. We'll see ya on the other side with photo coverage if all goes well. I think my brother will have his laptop for live reports.

Well I'm washing the truck,cleaning whitewalls, chrome wheels,cleaning the glass,the interior,for it's first Turkey rod run!!![cl Hope to see alot of you while I'm there too!![cl Time for a break and some turkey!!![dr[ddd

Doug

Okay everybody. Turkey Run is on!!! Gastricks hemified 32 made it along with his sons 73 Duster and since our dad couldn't make it, I drove his 48 Pontiac up for him. This was the first year in a long time we made it without any problems. It took us about 4 hours.

Thanks for the update Speed! Y'all have a great time and keep the pix coming please
402471-1.gif

A friend of mine is there selling T-shirts and stuff (papas speed shop). Would have liked to be able to be there. Have fun.
Tim

sorry to hear of the med probs for your dad, gastrick (just now reading this for 1st time) will be praying for him.....while looking forward to pics/updates on the T R.....[dr[dr

Latest posts

Back