Twin carbs on a flat head 6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addes426

This is so out of my comfort zone. I'm looking at a trade involving a 46 Dodge PU with a flat 6. Most likely a 218. It runs great. I've been thinking that if I end up trading, I'd kinda like to keep the 6 and go old school. How much CFM is safe of something like this? Are there any carbs that are better than others for something like this?

A couple of Carter one barrels would look good
A pair of Stromberg 97's would be even cooler (150 to 160 cfm each)

I had a '49 Dodge 4 door back as a kid, and the one barrel screwed up and I got a JC Whitney adapter and put a 2 barrel Rochester on it from an old 283. It sure woke up the flathead. I didn't even know what a CFM was. Guess I'm lucky there wasn't a quadrajet laying around. Pic is from '72, right after paying 50 bucks for it.

Attachments

• 49 dodge.jpg
    49 dodge.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
A couple of Carter one barrels would look good
A pair of Stromberg 97's would be even cooler (150 to 160 cfm each)

I would encourage you to run the flat 6. Search that auction site for a dual carb/split exhaust one. There are 2 on there now. One of them being a vintage Nicson with 2 Rochesters. The other is a new Offy which are still being produced.
I used to run just a straight pipe on my Chevy 6's. Or a Smitty for that old school sound. Definatley different that what every one else's sounds like.
Lots of carb options and as OldIron says the Strombergs would be nice. Plus if you have the cash you can buy them new... But my preference is to get an original and rebuild it as everything you need is available.
Another option is to run 2 but block one off. Many oldtimers did that as well with an otherwise stock engine.
Have fun.
Torchie.

Last edited:
I would encourage you to run the flat 6. Search that auction site for a dual carb/split exhaust one. There are 2 on there now. One of them being a vintage Nicson with 2 Rochesters. The other is a new Offy which are still being produced.
I used to run just a straight pipe on my Chevy 6's. Or a Smitty for that old school sound. Definatley different that what every one else's sounds like.
Lots of carb options and as OldIron says the Strombergs would be nice. Plus if you have the cash you can buy them new... But my preference is to get an original and rebuild it as everything you need is available.
Another option is to run 2 but block one off. Many oldtimers did that as well with an otherwise stock engine.
Have fun.
Torchie.

I was think 3 with one blocked off would be cooler but I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Latest posts

Back