Under $3000 Builds?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got really sweet deals on used tires and wheels at both ends. I had the front tires thrown in with the back tires. The guy that owned them couldn't make them fit under his car, and let them set in his garage for a while until he needed the space. And sold them for less than half of what he had in them. The point is, there are deals out there. ( Or, good things happen to good people.. I hope).
At any rate, if you are not in a hurry and know where to look, an can be a little flexable, you can find good things for cheap.

I've found some good scores like that (not tires). That's why I spent 2 years on my build. I do have the patience to wait for a good deal but still trying to meet those "right" sellers. I've got a couple of guys I know now that give me good deals on stuff, but I've about bought them out... hehehe. That's kinda why I don't have some nice white walls yet... looking for the right deal. On my truck though I do have a stereo with nice system factored in and I bought some nice matching gauges... probably $500 worth of stuff that wasn't necessary. If you don't factor in all the fun accessories on my truck it's well under $3000. I guess it's possible to keep it under $3000 but it's definitely a bare bones ride, and like you said you gotta have the time to find the right deals.

I got really sweet deals on used tires and wheels at both ends. I had the front tires thrown in with the back tires. The guy that owned them couldn't make them fit under his car, and let them set in his garage for a while until he needed the space. And sold them for less than half of what he had in them. The point is, there are deals out there. ( Or, good things happen to good people.. I hope).
At any rate, if you are not in a hurry and know where to look, an can be a little flexable, you can find good things for cheap.

i got a body for $60 and a front end for $50 .
i am still way over 3 grand with no tires and i havent even started paying for the engine /tranny

New brake lines fittings=$300 +
Grade 5 and 8 nuts and bolts easily =$300 +
Glass (if you have to have it )$250 ish
consumables like cut off wheels and welding stuff easily falls around $150
There goes a grand before you start.

Okay, you got me....... I have the experience of 30 years of metal work behind that build. So 30 years at $5.00 per hour comes to ...... well too much.
If you add every nut, bolt, screw, and drop of sweat, you will be far over $3000.

$3000

It comes down to individual circumstances IMO. If you have EVERYTHING on hand already I can see it happening but it would still be hard. I've got just over $1,700 in mine already. I still need a motor, trans, radiator, rear axle & front and rear suspension, fuel tank, tons of welding on the cab to do, glass, gauges, seats, steering column, steering box, wheels and tires, brakes, and all the misc. parts and welding needed to finish it. Another $5 thousand should get it rolling. Maybe??

Ok - this is where Tripper usually say's "Let's move on" and closes the thread! :D:D:D

Last edited:
I don't think any one is arguing. I'm actually curious about this because it's so different depending on where you live and who you know. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm more curious as to what "counts" as far as the money you've spent.

Like Bonehead said earlier... a lot of people are misguided by this thinking they can flip a rat for a profit really quick and in most cases probably can't be done. Unless you own a salvage yard it really takes time to find the good deals... $$$ to get it done quick.:D

Okay, you got me....... I have the experience of 30 years of metal work behind that build. So 30 years at $5.00 per hour comes to ...... well too much.
If you add every nut, bolt, screw, and drop of sweat, you will be far over $3000.

Sweat is a consumable. :) Ya can't count stuff like that or you have to start adding in all the tools in your shop, etc. Just keep it to parts.

I don't think any one is arguing. I'm actually curious about this because it's so different depending on where you live and who you know. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm more curious as to what "counts" as far as the money you've spent.

Like Bonehead said earlier... a lot of people are misguided by this thinking they can flip a rat for a profit really quick and in most cases probably can't be done. Unless you own a salvage yard it really takes time to find the good deals... $$$ to get it done quick.:D

I see your point! :D

If I could just find a cute young nymph that owned a liquor store and a wrecking yard, I'd be set!

Beercan

Liquor store, wreckin yard and a BOAT.. Always wanted a boat.

PA

I think everyone has already said it all, but i'll add my 2 cents.

By buying a donor car for the drive train, then selling everything you're not going to use it is possible to break even or in a few cases make a little money.
Buying the project truck and selling everything you don't need - same result. My cab, bed and grille cost $28 + I still have a couple things I can sell to get to $00.

On the other hand:
Custom front brake lines (because the stock ones wouldn't work) $90
3/4" grade 8 bolts + lock nuts for the rear 4 link: $50
25' of 3/16" steel brake line $18
Brake proportioning valve $40.
Battery cable - free from a friend but lugs $12
Adele clamps to hold brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, etc $30
Wiring harness or wire, wire loom, switches, lights $$$$
Radiator, radiator hose, clamps, fan, rad cap $300
Gas tank, fuel lines, pump, filter, gas cap, mounting hardware. $$

The problem is, the list is endless. In fact, I think being under $3000 in things that are NOT engine, frame, or body is pretty difficult.

even if you give the time for free.
elves dont buy those nuts,bolts,screws.
somebody has to pay money.

I got the car for free but after suspension up grades I'm at 2k. Hoping to it between 5-10k, I left myself a wide margin so maybe I will feel better in the end.

i am going between 6-10k for mine.
but i dont have a barn full of free engines/bodies/parts and a 30 year collection of grade 8 bolts!:D

Most of my builds end up costing between $5,000 and $7,000. And I am very thrifty. I figure I spend about $1,000 at my friend's auto parts store for all the small stuff on each build.

A couple builds cost way more but it wasn't any more fun.

i say yes .. but it depends on what youre wanting to build and how clever and creative you are.. if youre changing out everything for top quality new parts definately not .. but saving money in strange areas helps -- for instance, instead of buying a ready to go floor pan i used the old hood off of another car i had that i replaced and im definately not ashamed to stop the pickup and pick up metal from peoples garbage included but not limited to fence parts and bed frames... etc...
the problem really is the little things like cut off wheels, electricity, welding wire and rods, and the cost of your time -- i personally give myself a discounted rate--

the problem is people see the tv show where these guys flip over hot rods and kustoms and make it seem free -- the problem with that is -- those cars are commissioned by someone to build who really wants one --- they say oh we picked up the rims and dropped the body off to be painted today like its nothing but the person who commissioned that car build just dropped a grand lol--

if youre building it for the passion and satisfaction though i think every penny spent is well worth it in the end no matter what/how you build

this is from the man building my rod.

QUOTE:

b.s. my last build was 4000 plus. was given the following: frame,grill shell,radiator,frontaxle,rear axle,flathead motor. bought a whippet body for $60. trans for$1oo. windshield $86. r/p unit $ 60. had; gas tank[scuba tank, lots of parts and metal, sheet metal,wheels. bought 4 new tires $400. steering column and joints $ 200 plus. bought copper tubing, radiator hose intercooler[400plus]. radiator is in rear. had the paint[centari]. hubcaps free. air horn free. seat belts $25. carpet free{thanks billy]. driveshaft$200. rear engine seal$30. misc. stuff around $500. new carb$ 140.were are we at? 2200plus? now add in what you had, what it took to get the free stuff[trade,gas,etc.] all the stuff i had cost me something somehow. misc. stuff can add up quickly[abuck here and a fiver there]. plus lubes. and hey what about utilities? [heat lights water phone calling around for stuff.]welding wire or rods. gas? have i mentioned sweat equity? friends help{lotsofbeer} food!!! etc. you can't build a safe street legal ride for under $3000! I had no title and it cost me $300 for state requirements{colorado]. I don't get why its such a big deal to brag on or even try to build for under $3000. add another grand and do it right! and cut the ******** about free this and free that. It all costs something. nuff said. J.P. old hot rod builder,currently building billys 27 chevy pickup.

:UNQUOTE

Yeah. If you start adding everything up like a business would, there is no way you could build a finished rod unless you wanted a big lawsuit. Time, consumables, overhead, and cost of on hand stock would take it over 3000$ real quick. I doubt 4000$ is really possible.

My build will come in at exactly $3000, because that's when I quit counting. :D

Yeah. If you start adding everything up like a business would, there is no way you could build a finished rod unless you wanted a big lawsuit. Time, consumables, overhead, and cost of on hand stock would take it over 3000$ real quick. I doubt 4000$ is really possible.

My build will come in at exactly $3000, because that's when I quit counting. :D

I like that, quit counting when you reach the budget, and don't count anything you buy and decide not to use. Or anything you already have (you know, things you didn't count on the last build). Or, anything you paid cash for when no one else was around. All those cut-off wheels and welding supplies were business expenses -right.

At least that's how I do it.

I don't count my time, because for me it's mental health time. As far as all the "nuts and bolts" I have access to all the grade 8 hardware I need...I have coffee cans of it given to me every couple months, and what I don't have my brother in law does have. I also make sure when I go to the u pull it, I grab misc bolts and stuff....they usually don't charge for that stuff anyway. I'm also good at the barter thing. I swap and trade things and no I don't count things like that...again I'm in this hobby for fun and because I'm not rich I do most everything myself or have friends that can help me. No, when I posted earlier, I did not include some of the "consumables" and I won't because I'm not running a business....I'm enjoying a hobby that has been part of my life since I was a little kid

Now if you want to include every little thing in the cost...then no I didn't build the Studebaker for under 3K....the beer budget alone blows that out of the water :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back