Update on the pipes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I needed to quiet it down and my attempt at baffles didn't help much so I took some old 3" driveshafts that tapered to 2" and made these collectors that should accommodate enough baffle to keep me out of trouble.
What I had before
DSCN0036.jpg

And what they look like now.
headers001.jpg

headers002.jpg

Video is beyond my technical abilities, sorry. I'm going out to bolt the other one on today and try to come up with some design for baffles. I'm thinking a section of 2'' with one end blocked off and drilled full of holes. Then a ring or big washer on the outer end to force all the spent gases through the holes in the 2". Open to ideas here. thanks.

Sixteen 1/2" holes is approx. equal to one 2" hole. (If I did the math right!) So 20 1/2" holes should be good enough for flow on the inner tube? The outer pipe needs to be about 3" diameter? You probably won't be able to put a block on the end without restriction unless your outer pipe is bigger than 3"?

Notice - lot's of question marks up above.

this is the style i made for a set of lakes style straight tube (2 1/2" rether then cone) headers. i can cut small or large fins/scoops to tune the sound, but have not heard them yet. sorry about the ugly welds, but i would rether teach welding on some of my stuff then a custmers job.
Photo0221.jpg

Photo0211.jpg

Photo0201.jpg

Gosh 26T, how long did it take to drill all those holes and get them so neat?[ddd

Plan B, I found a big fender washer that just fits inside. I'm thinking 3 of those full of holes with a section of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe running through the middle, also full of holes. I can make them about 11 inches long.

i had thought about that on some mufflers but had the tube givin to me by a friend. if you stagger the holes it might be a little quieter.

by the way good one on the holes.[cl

Oldiron, I have seen those auger style in speedway and stole the idea to try and silence the first incarnation. I put several twists into flat bar and inserted one in each pipe. Silencing affect, pretty much zip. I'm sure those must do at least some of what their name implys, but I generally never buy something if I cam make my own version, much like the pipes themselves.

I would like to say that using what I can find and making my own parts is a pride issue but at it's core, it's a money issue. If I had the coins I would probably buy cars that were already done or have them built.

We made a set kinda like the ones pictured above, except the exhaust goes around the outside and then through the holes to get to the middle and out.

...from the build thread on my truck.

Dad was hot rodding around the neighborhood and somebody called the cops on him.

They didn't figure out who he was or where he lived, but they were driving around for quite a while and set up radar in the area for a couple of days.

He dodged the bullet that time, but didn't want to get it out with the loud pipes again.............so we made silencers from left-over hearder tubes and other misc junk.

They look like crap, but they work good and can be removed in 15 seconds.

HPIM0473.jpg

HPIM0477.jpg

HPIM0479.jpg

HPIM0480.jpg

Good idea flipper. I had something like that in mind. What size are your inner and outer pipe? Do they quiet it down a lot, enough to keep the cops off your tail?

3" outer, 1.75 inner (I think).

They really quieted it down. I think the trick to making this style work is the spear on the leading edge of the inner tube and the "dead zone" at the other end (exhaust gets trapped).

I swapped cams to try and get some gas mileage. The truck is not nearly as nasty sounding and loud....I don't run my baffles anymore.

Latest posts

Back